Can't attach word document with Windows 10 home

Anonymous
2022-02-21T08:14:40+00:00

Today I was unable to attach a Word file to an email I wanted to send. I first tried through my Yahoo mail account. I didn't get an error message, the computer screen just got paler while the circular working icon was going. After waiting, I closed the program. After repeated attempts, I restarted my computer and had the same problem. I tried sending the Word file from my Gmail account and got the same problem.

The problem seems to be with just Word, as I had no problem attaching a PDF file.

I haven't made any recent changes and don't have any 3rd party virus protection. I tried the Microsoft trouble shooter with no result.

I have Windows 10 Home and use Chrome as my browser. I've had this configuration on my computer for over 2 years without a problem.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-25T22:17:23+00:00

    Hi,

    I did Method 1 & 2 again. This time Method 2 said everything was OK. After a restart the problem was still there.

    If the fault is with Windows then why can it attach some Word docs and not others? Shouldn't there be a variable in the word doc that causes that?

    I took a look at the info you gave to repair install windows with an in-place upgrade. It seems a bit complicated. For the ISO file I have an old CD drive that's temperamental. I'm concerned about something going wrong in the reinstall and not being able to use my computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Neil D 34,310 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-02-25T20:39:21+00:00

    If method 2 found a fault then run method 1 again just to be sure.

    Personally I don't think repairing Office will make any difference, the fault is the way Windows 10 attaches the file (or tries to) and not the fact it is a doc. You are not using Office to send or attach the file to email.

    You may have to repair install Windows 10

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade | Tutorials (tenforums.com)

    You will need an ISO image file for version 21H2, it can be downloaded from Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com) select Download tool now. Instructions are on the site to download the ISO image.

    Once you have the image then mount it in File Explorer, select the new drive letters and run setup. Be sure it offers to keep everything if not cancel the process.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-25T17:12:44+00:00

    Hi,

    I found that 21H2 hadn't been installed (I saw that in update settings). That's odd as I regularly update right after I get the sent requests. Problem still there after a restart.

    I did the Troubleshooter Update. No problem found. Problem still there after restart.

    I did the system file check in Method 1. The report for both scans was that everything was OK.

    For Method 2, a corrupted file was found and corrected. I restarted and the problem was still there.

    I agree that the next step is to try to repair or reinstall Office. Any tips for that? I guess I'll need to back up all my office Docs?

    Thanks for all your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-25T14:18:13+00:00

    Oh okay - maybe that workaround tells that about something wrong on Microsoft Word, can you try repairing or reinstalling the Office on your machine?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Neil D 34,310 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-02-25T13:00:53+00:00

    So you are a little behind as the latest version is 21H2, you have the release from 2020. Do you have updates waiting in windows update or does View update history show failed updates.

    Try running the windows update Troubleshooter using Settings > Update and security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters. Restart after the process is complete, no matter what the result. (using Start > Power > Restart)

    You can also run system file checks

    Method 1:

    Run DISM tool and check the issue. Please follow these steps:

    a. Press Windows + X keys and click command prompt (admin). Or PowerShell (Admin).

    b. Type the following command in command prompt.

    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth [press return]

    let the scan run and then

    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth [press return]

    once the scan is complete then use method 2.

    Method 2:

    System file checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

    Run system file checker (SFC) and see if it helps. Please follow these steps:

    a. Press Windows + X keys and click command prompt (admin). Or PowerShell (Admin).

    b. Type the following command in command prompt.

    sfc /scannow [press return]

    After completing the scans restart using Start > Power > Restart.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments