Where can I place very large files or folders to PREVENT them from uploading/syncing to OneDrive?

Anonymous
2022-02-25T15:32:13+00:00

I have a very low bandwidth Internet connection, which cannot at this time be improved. With Files On-Demand sending most of the files and folders on my new Windows 11 PC to OneDrive, large files such as Quicken.qdf and my Outlook PST file never stop uploading. They are clogging up the works for everyone using this network.

I have now managed to copy my Quicken file because it finally finished uploading, and I've put it temporarily on an external hard drive. Where can I place it on my PC so that it won't start uploading to OneDrive again?

A related problem, because I use Outlook ten or twelve hours a day for my work, is that my PST file never STOPS uploading. Windows won't let me cut and paste the file to my external hard drive until it stops uploading. But it never does.

At my wits' end!

VeazyT

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-02-27T17:36:02+00:00

Here's the derailed guide on how to set the Outlook file location:

https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/to-mov...


Disclaimer:

This reply contains non-Microsoft websites. The page(s) appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-02-27T04:08:46+00:00

Right you right-clicking (like the right hand side button of the mouse) only once, not twice, we need that context menu which appears when you right click on any file on Windows or anywhere in space in My Computer.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-26T18:26:02+00:00

    Your comment: So do I now just have to wait until the PST file has finished uploading to OneDrive before trying to quarantine it in my external hard drive?

    Answer: You can cut and paste it to External Hard Drive even before completing the upload.

    Your comment: Does it make sense to you that there are NO files or folders in C:\users{myusername}\Documents even though shows multiple green-circles containing white check marks next to them? I understand that these green-circled white check marks indicate that a file or folder is on my drive C:.

    Answer: That's fine, it means those folders are enabled for sync so if there will be any new files available under those folders then those will get synced.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-26T18:23:37+00:00

    Okay, I have unchecked the folder containing my Outlook Profile.pst in OneDrive > Settings > Account and Choose Folder. I could not get access to the actual PST file there, only the folder containing it, Outlook Files.

    BTW, this forum page would not let me submit replies to your messages for a while there. It kept saying, "Oops! Something has gone wrong!" in red letters every time I'd click Submit. Seems to be working now, though.

    So do I now just have to wait until the PST file has finished uploading to OneDrive before trying to quarantine it in my external hard drive?

    Does it make sense to you that there are NO files or folders visible in C:\users{myusername}\Documents even though This PC > Documents shows multiple green-circles containing white check marks next to them? I understand that these green-circled white check marks indicate that a file or folder is on my drive C:.

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-26T18:04:05+00:00

    Perfect, so we identified the folder, now you again go to OneDrive > Settings > Account and Choose Folder, search this folder which you found in that list, uncheck it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments