Where can I place very large files or folders to PREVENT them from uploading/syncing to OneDrive?

Anonymous
2022-02-25T15:32:13+00:00

I have a very low bandwidth Internet connection, which cannot at this time be improved. With Files On-Demand sending most of the files and folders on my new Windows 11 PC to OneDrive, large files such as Quicken.qdf and my Outlook PST file never stop uploading. They are clogging up the works for everyone using this network.

I have now managed to copy my Quicken file because it finally finished uploading, and I've put it temporarily on an external hard drive. Where can I place it on my PC so that it won't start uploading to OneDrive again?

A related problem, because I use Outlook ten or twelve hours a day for my work, is that my PST file never STOPS uploading. Windows won't let me cut and paste the file to my external hard drive until it stops uploading. But it never does.

At my wits' end!

VeazyT

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-02-27T17:36:02+00:00

Here's the derailed guide on how to set the Outlook file location:

https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/to-mov...


Disclaimer:

This reply contains non-Microsoft websites. The page(s) appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-02-27T04:08:46+00:00

Right you right-clicking (like the right hand side button of the mouse) only once, not twice, we need that context menu which appears when you right click on any file on Windows or anywhere in space in My Computer.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-27T19:34:09+00:00

    Fantastic, Bhavik--I got Outlook running again. Of course, the pst file is still primarily situated in OneDrive, but it is downloading, which gives me hope that sometime in the future it will do so completely and I will be able to remove it completely from OneDrive.

    I finally going to give you the credit you so immensely deserve for solving my problem. I could not possibly more grateful to you and wish you all the very best.

    Take good care,

    VeazyT

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-27T19:11:53+00:00

    Thank you, Bhavik!! I know Slipstick does good work. I will follow their instructions and let you know how I make out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-27T16:53:24+00:00

    No matter where I put the Outlook Files folder, Outlook will not send/receive, saying it can't access the data file.

    The last place I put it was on my desktop, and now every single icon on my desktop has disappeared except for the Recycle Bin and Outlook Files. All the icons are now on the OneDrive desktop, however.

    When I double-click on the Outlook Files folder on *my* desktop, it has no content!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments