Same. All keys show no User name.
Registry Editor Problem
I may have made a bad mistake with my Lenovo desktop computer.
I wanted to change my User name in Win 10 Explorer so I checked YouTube for a possible answer. I chose to find my User name in the Registry: HKey_Local_Machine: Software\Microsoft: Windows NT: ProfilesList: ProfileImagePath: C:\Users(name is in this location)
I changed the name in this location, closed everything out, and rebooted.
When my Win10 sign in page showed, I put my password in . . . . and it wouldn't accept it.
I get the following message:
The User Profile Service failed the sign-in.
User profile cannot be loaded.
I'm trying to find a way into the Registry to correct my mistake, but can't find a way to do it.
I have tried to access the Safe Mode option, but it won't allow me.
Also tried to access Command Prompt (Dos), but it also asks me for my password.
Anyone out there have any advice on how I can access my Registry, or is my only option to reinstall the OS and lose my Apps and Data.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2022-04-01T03:29:08+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-04-01T03:36:14+00:00 In that case I'd use the bootable media Advanced troubleshoot Options to try to System Restore to a point before the change was made.
If that fails you can go back to Troubleshoot Options try the deep clean Reset, which you will need because the one that saves files will try to keep your same account which will fail in this case. You need to set up your account all over again in a fresh install.
If that fails then do a gold standard Clean Install which should get you past all difficulties as it has millions of others who have followed the steps in this link and never come back to report another problem: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...
Make sure during the booted install to follow the illustrated steps to delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to get it cleanest, then click Next to let it auto-create the needed partitions, format them and begin install - this makes it foolproof.
If you have files that aren't backed up you can use the same bootable media to try to rescue your files using these methods: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...
Keep me posted on your progress as I will be here to help until the case is resolved.
-
_AW_ 69,656 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator2022-04-01T03:57:26+00:00 You need to mount the Software registry hive in Regedit from the file path C:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE
I'm sure that would have been covered in one of the links you were given.
-
Anonymous
2022-04-01T06:27:08+00:00 How do I do that. And are you saying that if I do that I might be able to find that User name mistake that I made in one of those 3 Keys?
-
_AW_ 69,656 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator2022-04-01T06:48:43+00:00 Hi, this is the link from advice already posted:
https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/edit-registry-offline-windows-re/
If you do everything correctly, the profile setting you edited will definitely be present in the mounted hive.
Your hive path will be at C:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE
Make sure you reply to one of Greg's posts if you have any further problems.