This is what's on my flash drive as per the instructions for Win10 download.
Registry Editor Problem
I may have made a bad mistake with my Lenovo desktop computer.
I wanted to change my User name in Win 10 Explorer so I checked YouTube for a possible answer. I chose to find my User name in the Registry: HKey_Local_Machine: Software\Microsoft: Windows NT: ProfilesList: ProfileImagePath: C:\Users(name is in this location)
I changed the name in this location, closed everything out, and rebooted.
When my Win10 sign in page showed, I put my password in . . . . and it wouldn't accept it.
I get the following message:
The User Profile Service failed the sign-in.
User profile cannot be loaded.
I'm trying to find a way into the Registry to correct my mistake, but can't find a way to do it.
I have tried to access the Safe Mode option, but it won't allow me.
Also tried to access Command Prompt (Dos), but it also asks me for my password.
Anyone out there have any advice on how I can access my Registry, or is my only option to reinstall the OS and lose my Apps and Data.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2022-03-31T01:37:55+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-03-31T01:47:18+00:00 That is the downloaded ISO file, not the same thing as creating the bootable media which would have seven folders inside if it were actually made bootable instead of just downloading the ISO file as shown in screenshot.
So please go back to Follow the steps toward the bottom of the download page here in the section "Using the tool to create installation media" and NOT downloading the ISO. Specifically in Step 5 choose USB flash drive and not ISO file:
-
Anonymous
2022-03-31T03:20:14+00:00 Greg - I'm in, but now not sure what to do or how to correct anything. I looked at my Registry site where I made a change, but it does not show the User name that I changed, causing my problem.
I went to Step 5 and ran the System File Checker for the C: drive, but I don't know what I am looking at or how to fix my problem. ???
BTW: My location is 15hrs. AHEAD of CST, so you may now be asleep if you are close to CST.
-
Anonymous
2022-03-31T03:29:55+00:00 Gerdi -
Did you say that you mounted the registry and went back to where you made the change and cannot undo it? Are you comparing with the tutorial you used to change the Account name?
Does System Restore work at all to get back before then?
The SFC command has a simple spacing mistake. There are only spaces before the forward slashes, not the backward slash. Compare it with the Command Box picture in the tutorial: