Registry Editor Problem

Anonymous
2022-03-28T04:14:54+00:00

I may have made a bad mistake with my Lenovo desktop computer.

I wanted to change my User name in Win 10 Explorer so I checked YouTube for a possible answer. I chose to find my User name in the Registry: HKey_Local_Machine: Software\Microsoft: Windows NT: ProfilesList: ProfileImagePath: C:\Users(name is in this location)

I changed the name in this location, closed everything out, and rebooted.

When my Win10 sign in page showed, I put my password in . . . . and it wouldn't accept it.

I get the following message:

The User Profile Service failed the sign-in.

User profile cannot be loaded.

I'm trying to find a way into the Registry to correct my mistake, but can't find a way to do it.

I have tried to access the Safe Mode option, but it won't allow me.

Also tried to access Command Prompt (Dos), but it also asks me for my password.

Anyone out there have any advice on how I can access my Registry, or is my only option to reinstall the OS and lose my Apps and Data.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. _AW_ 69,656 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-04-01T12:31:37+00:00

    I just tested the procedure on my own installation and it appears that this method no longer works. I got a different error in that my password was accepted, but Windows was stuck in a permanent cycle of Preparing Windows.

    So with that in mind, follow on with the instructions in Greg's last post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-04-01T13:12:01+00:00

    "For now, I think your first priority should be to protect your personal files. Don't lose those. Then you can decide whether you want a professional to see your PC, or to keep soldiering on yourself."

    With all due respect ... time to throw in the towel?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-04-02T02:25:06+00:00

    I seem to be running out of alternatives in trying to behind my password. I went to Greg's link on rescue files, but it seems that is not working either. I tried to copy them to my Elements 2T HD and got the message window below. Anyone have any ideas on this one?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments