Registry Editor Problem

Anonymous
2022-03-28T04:14:54+00:00

I may have made a bad mistake with my Lenovo desktop computer.

I wanted to change my User name in Win 10 Explorer so I checked YouTube for a possible answer. I chose to find my User name in the Registry: HKey_Local_Machine: Software\Microsoft: Windows NT: ProfilesList: ProfileImagePath: C:\Users(name is in this location)

I changed the name in this location, closed everything out, and rebooted.

When my Win10 sign in page showed, I put my password in . . . . and it wouldn't accept it.

I get the following message:

The User Profile Service failed the sign-in.

User profile cannot be loaded.

I'm trying to find a way into the Registry to correct my mistake, but can't find a way to do it.

I have tried to access the Safe Mode option, but it won't allow me.

Also tried to access Command Prompt (Dos), but it also asks me for my password.

Anyone out there have any advice on how I can access my Registry, or is my only option to reinstall the OS and lose my Apps and Data.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-03-28T10:00:46+00:00

    Thank you for your response. Actually, I never play around in the Registry for the very reason you stated.

    I only made a 1 word, 5 letter change, and it has locked me out from all my data. All important info has previously been backed up but I was hoping for a way to access some other data. I don't think there is any way to get around my sign-in password that no longer works. Perhaps a professional hacker would know, but that is far out of my current knowledge base.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-03-28T07:41:53+00:00

    Depending on the extent of your adventures in the Windows registry, you may need a clean install. Take it from me: Avoid YouTube 'experts' who tell you to mess around with the Windows registry. That's just asking for trouble.

    I'm not in any way affiliated with Microsoft, so I can offer you independent advice.

    Once you give your user account a name, that name identifies your account in many places, which is why it's so difficult to change. Much easier is to simply create a new user account with the new name and copy your personal files from the old account to the new.

    If you do end up needing a clean install, you won't lose any of your personal files if you back them up before you start.

    You'll need to reinstall your apps. For your Microsoft Store apps that's easy: Just reinstall them from Microsoft Store. If you use Office 365, Microsoft makes that a cinch to reinstall from your Microsoft account. For apps that you got elsewhere, make sure that you have their installers on a USB flash drive before you start. And for apps that you paid for, make sure you their licenses on that USB flash drive as well.

    Given the very many ways that a computer can go wrong, I would be scared to use one without backing up every day, which is easy for a backup program. I also learned long ago to store program installers and licenses on a USB flash drive, to make reinstalling much easier.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-03-28T05:04:25+00:00

    Hi Gerdibird. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, specializing in Installation, Performance, Troubleshooting and Activation, here to help you.

    1. The only safe method to change the User Profile folder name in Windows is here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/28375-chang...

    If you need to correct or undo the regedit you did to get Windows started, you can extract the registry from Windows using the Command Prompt, mount, edit and then reinsert it into Windows following this method:

    https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/edit-registr...

    1. To access the Command Prompt use whichever method works in this link to get into Repair Mode:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanc...

    Easiest is to force shutdown by holding in the power button. Do this twice. The third time you power on it should start into Repair Mode.

    1. It may be necessary to create bootable media on another PC to access Advanced Startup Options. The bootable media has it's own set of files so that repairs or Reset might work better, doesn't require a password, and you'll have it to if necessary do the vastly superior Clean Install.

    To create Windows 10 Installation Media on another PC install Media Creation Tool and follow the directions here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software-downlo...

    Insert media, boot it by powering up PC while pressing the BIOS Boot Menu Key given here: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutor...

    If the media won't boot you may need to enter BIOS/UEFI Setup (pressing key given in chart in link above) to turn off Fast Boot or Fast Startup first.

    Choose the boot device as a UEFI device if offered, on second screen choose Repair Your Computer, then Advanced Troubleshoot Options, then:

    1. open the Command Prompt to try mounting the registry to do the commands from earlier.
    2. If that fails run System File Checker: https://www.wintips.org/how-to-run-sfc-offline-...

    and DISM: https://www.ubackup.com/windows-10/dism-offline...

    1. If those fail then go back to Troubleshoot Options to do a Reset.
    2. If that fails choose Install Now, then Custom Install, then at the drive selection screen delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to get it cleanest, click Next to let it create needed partitions and start install - this makes it foolproof. Everything needed to Clean Install is here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...
    3. If you have files that aren't backed up you can use the same bootable media to try to rescue your files using these methods: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    Your files should be backed up at all times if you value them at all. In the Clean Install tutorial in Step 5 I give the best methods to back up.

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    ________________________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments