Good, Gerdi. Keep me posted on your progress as I will be here to help until the case is resolved.
Registry Editor Problem
I may have made a bad mistake with my Lenovo desktop computer.
I wanted to change my User name in Win 10 Explorer so I checked YouTube for a possible answer. I chose to find my User name in the Registry: HKey_Local_Machine: Software\Microsoft: Windows NT: ProfilesList: ProfileImagePath: C:\Users(name is in this location)
I changed the name in this location, closed everything out, and rebooted.
When my Win10 sign in page showed, I put my password in . . . . and it wouldn't accept it.
I get the following message:
The User Profile Service failed the sign-in.
User profile cannot be loaded.
I'm trying to find a way into the Registry to correct my mistake, but can't find a way to do it.
I have tried to access the Safe Mode option, but it won't allow me.
Also tried to access Command Prompt (Dos), but it also asks me for my password.
Anyone out there have any advice on how I can access my Registry, or is my only option to reinstall the OS and lose my Apps and Data.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2022-03-28T22:47:54+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-03-28T22:23:54+00:00 Thank you again. I'm actually looking forward to learning and working through your suggestions and hopefully resolve my problem.
-
Anonymous
2022-03-28T20:18:04+00:00 ... I only made a 1 word, 5 letter change ...
You can lock yourself out with a single tick mark, if it's in the wrong place. And, frankly, we don't know what state your computer was in before you made this change.
This is another situation where backing up can be a life-saver. If you had a backup to restore, you could be back at work in minutes like nothing happened, even if Windows is completely pooched.
Do you not have another user account on the computer? Every Windows PC needs to have at least two user accounts: One is the Administrator account, which you only use in situations where you need elevated privileges. The other is a Standard account, which is what you use for your day-to-day computing and where you store your personal files.
With no other user account and no backup to restore, I'm afraid to say that you're like a trapeze artist working without a net. The next best thing to do is to show your PC to a professional (vs. Best Buy) who can work on your computer and try to get you back in. If all else fails, they will backup your personal files (using methods I'm not allowed to write about) and do a clean install.
For now, I think your first priority should be to protect your personal files. Don't lose those. Then you can decide whether you want a professional to see your PC, or to keep soldiering on yourself.
-
Anonymous
2022-03-28T18:39:27+00:00 It's only complicated because your PC cannot start due to this known issue, which has fixes I have been giving out for years that are quite advanced, so I include other easier options.
Just to explain something so complicated is not that easy, it's taken ten years to whittle the steps down so they are still as thorough. Most people on the web would just tell you to reinstall, not even bother with how to rescue your files. I gave you every possible option and off-ramp to have available, based on helping with this issue hundreds of times.
Keep me posted on your progress as I will be here to help until the case is resolved.
-
Anonymous
2022-03-28T10:21:59+00:00 Thank you Greg. That all sounds somewhat complicated. I was surprised that a one, 5 letter word change in my Registry would cause such havoc, but it's a good reminder why to stay out of it unless one knows exactly what they're doing. As I mentioned, I was able to get to the Troubleshoot\Advanced Options and bring up Command Prompt, but that required my password to work with it. I will work through each of your suggestions and hope for a desired result. Thank you again. Steph G.