Registry Editor Problem

Anonymous
2022-03-28T04:14:54+00:00

I may have made a bad mistake with my Lenovo desktop computer.

I wanted to change my User name in Win 10 Explorer so I checked YouTube for a possible answer. I chose to find my User name in the Registry: HKey_Local_Machine: Software\Microsoft: Windows NT: ProfilesList: ProfileImagePath: C:\Users(name is in this location)

I changed the name in this location, closed everything out, and rebooted.

When my Win10 sign in page showed, I put my password in . . . . and it wouldn't accept it.

I get the following message:

The User Profile Service failed the sign-in.

User profile cannot be loaded.

I'm trying to find a way into the Registry to correct my mistake, but can't find a way to do it.

I have tried to access the Safe Mode option, but it won't allow me.

Also tried to access Command Prompt (Dos), but it also asks me for my password.

Anyone out there have any advice on how I can access my Registry, or is my only option to reinstall the OS and lose my Apps and Data.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-04-01T02:12:02+00:00

    To change to C driver from X:\Sources just type C: and nothing more:

    https://superuser.com/questions/1117591/access-...

    This should change the drive and you can then type Regedit

    I don't know why they didn't include that step in the tutorial. Sorry.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-03-31T23:34:41+00:00

    Forgot to include this photo.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-03-31T23:31:13+00:00

    Good morning Greg,

    I'm finally back at it, trying to solve my issue.

    As you suggested, I'm am once again working through Step 3, but at the #2 option the example is using the D: partition. My system is on C:, but how do I open the C: registry from where I am in regedit which show X:\Sources. It tells me C: is not recognized. - Stephan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-03-31T04:37:24+00:00

    If you want to contiinue repair steps from the booted media go back to my first post and resume with Step 3.

    If you want to save time I'd skip to Step 6 to try a deep clean Reset with cloud option.

    If that fails move on to Step 7 to do the Clean Install.

    If you have files to register start with Step 8 to use the bootable media Command Prompt to copy your files out to another hard drive or external, a flash stick or to the a partition you can create on the other half of the flash stick which only formats the first 32gb for the installation media.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-03-31T04:29:27+00:00

    F12 like you said, brings up Startup Device Menu

    I scrolled down to USB HDD: JetFlashTrancend 64GB

    Selected UEFI: JetFalshTranscend 64GB

    Enter

    It looked like it rebooted, and then showed the following, and I went from the to Command Prompt.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments