What about the other two profiles, keys -18 and -20?
Registry Editor Problem
I may have made a bad mistake with my Lenovo desktop computer.
I wanted to change my User name in Win 10 Explorer so I checked YouTube for a possible answer. I chose to find my User name in the Registry: HKey_Local_Machine: Software\Microsoft: Windows NT: ProfilesList: ProfileImagePath: C:\Users(name is in this location)
I changed the name in this location, closed everything out, and rebooted.
When my Win10 sign in page showed, I put my password in . . . . and it wouldn't accept it.
I get the following message:
The User Profile Service failed the sign-in.
User profile cannot be loaded.
I'm trying to find a way into the Registry to correct my mistake, but can't find a way to do it.
I have tried to access the Safe Mode option, but it won't allow me.
Also tried to access Command Prompt (Dos), but it also asks me for my password.
Anyone out there have any advice on how I can access my Registry, or is my only option to reinstall the OS and lose my Apps and Data.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2022-04-01T02:58:56+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-04-01T02:46:22+00:00 Well, I'm stumped. I opened my Registry Editor for my C: drive and went to the location where I had changed my User name, but there is no name there anymore. See attachment below. The original User name was "gerdi" and I changed it to "STEPH" (without quotation marks). I thought I could just go in here, change it back, reboot, and everything would go back to normal. Any advice?
-
Anonymous
2022-04-01T02:12:02+00:00 To change to C driver from X:\Sources just type C: and nothing more:
https://superuser.com/questions/1117591/access-...
This should change the drive and you can then type Regedit
I don't know why they didn't include that step in the tutorial. Sorry.
-
Anonymous
2022-03-31T23:31:13+00:00 Good morning Greg,
I'm finally back at it, trying to solve my issue.
As you suggested, I'm am once again working through Step 3, but at the #2 option the example is using the D: partition. My system is on C:, but how do I open the C: registry from where I am in regedit which show X:\Sources. It tells me C: is not recognized. - Stephan