Registry Editor Problem

Anonymous
2022-03-28T04:14:54+00:00

I may have made a bad mistake with my Lenovo desktop computer.

I wanted to change my User name in Win 10 Explorer so I checked YouTube for a possible answer. I chose to find my User name in the Registry: HKey_Local_Machine: Software\Microsoft: Windows NT: ProfilesList: ProfileImagePath: C:\Users(name is in this location)

I changed the name in this location, closed everything out, and rebooted.

When my Win10 sign in page showed, I put my password in . . . . and it wouldn't accept it.

I get the following message:

The User Profile Service failed the sign-in.

User profile cannot be loaded.

I'm trying to find a way into the Registry to correct my mistake, but can't find a way to do it.

I have tried to access the Safe Mode option, but it won't allow me.

Also tried to access Command Prompt (Dos), but it also asks me for my password.

Anyone out there have any advice on how I can access my Registry, or is my only option to reinstall the OS and lose my Apps and Data.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-03-31T04:37:24+00:00

    If you want to contiinue repair steps from the booted media go back to my first post and resume with Step 3.

    If you want to save time I'd skip to Step 6 to try a deep clean Reset with cloud option.

    If that fails move on to Step 7 to do the Clean Install.

    If you have files to register start with Step 8 to use the bootable media Command Prompt to copy your files out to another hard drive or external, a flash stick or to the a partition you can create on the other half of the flash stick which only formats the first 32gb for the installation media.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-03-31T04:29:27+00:00

    F12 like you said, brings up Startup Device Menu

    I scrolled down to USB HDD: JetFlashTrancend 64GB

    Selected UEFI: JetFalshTranscend 64GB

    Enter

    It looked like it rebooted, and then showed the following, and I went from the to Command Prompt.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-03-31T04:15:25+00:00

    How are you getting into the registry from Repair Mode or bootable media without mounting it? Are you in Safe Mode or Windows?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-03-31T04:04:32+00:00
    Did you say that you mounted the registry and went back to where you made the change and cannot undo it? Are you comparing with the tutorial you used to change the Account name? <br><br>I typed in regedit and went to the location (ProfileImagePath) where I made the one word, 5 letter change, but it was not there. <br> <br>Does System Restore work at all to get back before then?   <br>It does, but wants to take me back to a point I don’t want to go. <br>The SFC command has a simple spacing mistake. There are only spaces before the forward slashes, not the backward slash. Compare it with the Command Box picture in the tutorial:  <br><br>Tried it again and got this result of system scan said:  Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.<image>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-03-31T03:32:34+00:00

    You may decide you want to cut your losses, use the tutorial to Rescue your files if you have any that are not backed up, then take this opportunity to do a gold standard Clean Install which compiles the best possible Install of Windows which will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given, has zero reported problems, and is better than any amount of money could buy: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki.... Read over it first, take notes, ask back any questions so you're prepared.

    To create bootable Windows 10 Installation Media (on another PC if necessary) install Media Creation tool and follow the steps toward the bottom of the download page here in the section "Using the tool to create installation media:"

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software-downlo...

    Insert media, boot it by powering up PC while pressing the BIOS Boot Menu Key for your PC maker given in this chart: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutor...

    If the media won't boot you may need to enter BIOS/UEFI Setup (pressing key given in chart in link above) to turn off Fast Boot or Fast Startup first.

    Choose the boot device as a UEFI device if offered, then on second screen choose Install Now, then Custom Install, then at the drive selection screen delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to get it cleanest, select the Unallocated Space, click Next to let it create and format the needed partitions and start install - this makes it foolproof.

    There is a step to rescue your files first using the booted media if you don't have them backed up: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    I'd also read through the Clean install tutorial to see if there's any other files you need to retrieve using that method above like Appdata for certain apps or games that you don't want to lose progress on. The most important are covered in the tutorial, you can research where the others you need are located.

    You will get and keep the best possible install to the exact extent you stick with the steps, tools and methods in the linked tutorial. It's a great learning experience that will make you the master of your PC because you will learn everything that works best and how to apply it with your own hands.

    Feel free to ask back any questions. Report back results for more steps if necessary.

    ______________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments