Registry Editor Problem

Anonymous
2022-03-28T04:14:54+00:00

I may have made a bad mistake with my Lenovo desktop computer.

I wanted to change my User name in Win 10 Explorer so I checked YouTube for a possible answer. I chose to find my User name in the Registry: HKey_Local_Machine: Software\Microsoft: Windows NT: ProfilesList: ProfileImagePath: C:\Users(name is in this location)

I changed the name in this location, closed everything out, and rebooted.

When my Win10 sign in page showed, I put my password in . . . . and it wouldn't accept it.

I get the following message:

The User Profile Service failed the sign-in.

User profile cannot be loaded.

I'm trying to find a way into the Registry to correct my mistake, but can't find a way to do it.

I have tried to access the Safe Mode option, but it won't allow me.

Also tried to access Command Prompt (Dos), but it also asks me for my password.

Anyone out there have any advice on how I can access my Registry, or is my only option to reinstall the OS and lose my Apps and Data.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-03-31T01:24:44+00:00

    It just loaded fine in my other Win10 computer that I used to create the Media flash drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-03-31T01:01:19+00:00

    Stephan -

    If the media is not showing up in the BIOS Boot Menu key triggered by powering on the PC and tapping or holding the F12 key, then it may be bad. Will it boot and load in any other PC?

    If not then re-create it following the steps toward the bottom of the download page here in the section "Using the tool to create installation media:"

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software-downlo...

    Now see if it's detected and can be booted as a UEFI flash stick in BIOS Boot menu.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-03-31T00:47:04+00:00

    Back again Greg.

    I'm sorry that I must appear somewhat stupid at this. It is new territory for me, or perhaps I'm just a slow learner. The F12 Start up menu did come up as you said, and then the BIOS, but I don't see my bootable Media that is plugged into a USB port. Am I suppose to see it somewhere so that I can change the boot order? It's not in Devices or in the Startup section. Hope that I'm not waisting too much of your time for something that's very simple for you. Stephan.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-03-30T23:27:48+00:00

    As I wrote in my first post explaining how to boot media, use the Lenovo F12 Boot menu key and not the BIOS setup key to enter and change the boot order which is old-school not used any longer with UEFI where Windows Boot manager must be set first to boot at all times.

    In your first screenshot they word the Boot menu key as "Temporary Startup device" which is a little awkward and may have misled you. But it is what you want, as the directory shows in my first post, the BIOS Boot menu interrrupt key for Lenovo is always F12.

    Then continue with the rest of the steps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-03-30T22:56:11+00:00

    Hi Greg,

    I created the Win10 boot Media from another Win10 computer using a clean 64MB Flash drive, and then inserted the Flash drive into a USB slot on my Desktop Lenovo and pressed the Start button. The F1/F2 boot Keys will not directly open my BIOS on my Lenovo. I have to get to the BIOS by pressing the Enter button during Start Up which opens an Options window, then selecting F1. But once I'm in the BIOS, I don't know where to find the boot Media that I've plugged in or how to proceed. Am I missing something in your instructions? Please see attachments below:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments