I don't know why or how but this worked for me, now I can play Fornite after a long and exhausting working day, thanks random person, hope you find good things in your life.
Windows 11 100% disk usage
Hello, recently windows offered free update from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Since completing this update, I have been having the issue whereby task manager shows that 100% disk being used on a constant basis. Laptop runs at a snail's pace now and it's only 3 months old. Could you please assist?
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
47 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2024-11-04T02:09:23+00:00 -
Anonymous
2024-12-11T23:21:05+00:00 That main reply with the many steps to try I have seen work and not work, just like the mix of responses in this thread. I've seen this issue with virtual machines, physical ones, on personal configs, corporate (domain) configs, etc. My own personal experience was a Lenovo laptop with Win10. This thing was just constantly at 100%, I've seen the suggestions elsewhere too and have tried them, but nothing worked. One day I had decided to force update my laptop to Win11 due to TMP ver my CPU has getting in the way. I had noticed the same issue existed. From there, I decided to just replace the SATA hard drive with an M.2 SSD, even cloned that HDD so I can have my data on the SSD and all of that. It was working perfectly afterwards, not even semi high HDD utilization on boot-up. Hell, I even kept the old SATA 1TB drive to use as a second storage volume and partitioned out as well. Keeping that in play with the M.2 flash storage was not even a problem. Hilarious and sad at the same time.......Not even the people that design this stuff truly know what they are doing.
I never wanted to swap storage devices before because SSD prices were not what I was willing to pay at the time. Go figure.
-
Anonymous
2024-12-13T05:27:30+00:00 Thank you, I understand most of what you say. The latest Windows 11 Update (89G!) seems to have fixed the problem. My computer slows down when an update has been released but not installed.
-
Anonymous
2025-02-11T15:01:07+00:00 Hi, I had the same problem... I tried updating my my drivers were updated, using a drivers using an updater software program. This resolved some problems, but not all.
I then noticed that Microsoft upgraded me to windows 11 pro, however I only had a windows 10/11 home license. This inconsistency caused a license activation problem. I had to purchase a windows 11 pro license key and activate the software.
As soon as I activated the windows 11 pro software, I noticed that I haven't been getting the 100% c: drive usage any longer.
One thing to note, I bought the windows 10 home license from microsoft website to avoid activation problems like this to happen. unfortunatley that didn't work, I was miffed, and didn't want to pay full price for a windows 11 pro license, especially since Microsoft messed me up, so I went through another dealer at a fraction of the cost.
-
Anonymous
2025-02-14T04:49:26+00:00 I have also struggled with this problem for so long. Even a fresh install of windows and it still happens. I have seen this issue since 2017. Upgraded my machine in 2020 just because of this issue but it did not help. I tried everything on this thread. The post about the PCIe conflict and the registry edit seemed promising but did not work for me. One post here guided me to the dell website. I have a dell Inspiron. The dell site suggested setting the virtual memory size to double system ram. That seemed to have significantly sped up my machine though it still shows 100 percent disk usage. I have ordered an ssd (which is much more affordable these days) and more ram. Hopefully these items will make my computer useable again.