Just chiming in to say I have the same issue with this setup:
Win 10 pro
9900k
Asus Z390 strix
32gb Corsair vengeance 3600mhz
1TB nvme ssd
Seeing a lot of Asus systems so far
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Task manager sorting is extremely slow when I switch from sorting by name to performance metrics or vice versa.
For example - I can sort by name and if after that I decide to sort by one of the performance metrics - it's going to take about 3 seconds to do so. After that - I can freely sort by any of the performance metrics and I will experience no lag, unless I try to sort by the name again. In which case I will see another lag, also about 3 seconds. And from this point the cycle repeats.
I have had this issue before - the only resolution I have found - was to reinstall the windows, but it's not a solution I find sustainable.
TLDR
Sorting by CPU takes 3 seconds, after that, sorting by name takes 3 seconds, if I try to sort by CPU again - I will get another lag of the similar duration.
What can be done about it?
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Just chiming in to say I have the same issue with this setup:
Win 10 pro
9900k
Asus Z390 strix
32gb Corsair vengeance 3600mhz
1TB nvme ssd
Seeing a lot of Asus systems so far
Similar Issue
Windows 11 Home 22000.652
Asus TUF A15 2020
AMD Ryzen 7 4800H
32 GB Kingston 3200 MHz Ram
512 GB NVME SSD
The taskbar will also get stuck during sorting and the time stops updating.
This got so much worse over time. When I start the task manager, it takes about 10-15 seconds to launch it and everything is frozen, even mouse cursor. I was forced to replace the task manager with process explorer.
Microsoft, please, get this sorted.
I have the same issue and I think it started happening around December or January, not 100% sure. I was doing a lot of stuff at that time though, including installing new apps and updating drivers. The lag is not only in task manager, but e.g. games are a bit more laggy for me too. The mouse lag is kind of characteristic, it moves very very slowly and in an interrupted manner.
HP Omen 17-ap0xx
Windows 10.0.19044
i7-7820HK
GeForce GTX 1080
32 GB Samsung RAM
1 TB NVME Samsung SSD + 1TB HGST HDD (both shown in perfect state according to SMART)
Everything on latest drivers if WIndows Update, HP Support Assistant, Intel Driver Support Assistant and GeForce Experience are not lying. I suspect something related to CPU, no time to debug it further though.