same issue on a high end pc. just tried on a lower spec'd pc and the result is identical. gonna chalk this up to microsoft, not your personal windows install or hardware.
Sorting in Task manager is extremely slow.
Task manager sorting is extremely slow when I switch from sorting by name to performance metrics or vice versa.
For example - I can sort by name and if after that I decide to sort by one of the performance metrics - it's going to take about 3 seconds to do so. After that - I can freely sort by any of the performance metrics and I will experience no lag, unless I try to sort by the name again. In which case I will see another lag, also about 3 seconds. And from this point the cycle repeats.
I have had this issue before - the only resolution I have found - was to reinstall the windows, but it's not a solution I find sustainable.
TLDR
Sorting by CPU takes 3 seconds, after that, sorting by name takes 3 seconds, if I try to sort by CPU again - I will get another lag of the similar duration.
What can be done about it?
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
51 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2021-12-22T23:37:52+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-01-18T18:27:55+00:00 same issue on a high end pc. just tried on a lower spec'd pc and the result is identical. gonna chalk this up to microsoft, not your personal windows install or hardware.
Same issue here as well on my brand new PC. I am curious, are there any common specs at all between the lower spec'd and higher spec'd PCs you tried? Or some common input devices connected to the USB ports etc.
-
Anonymous
2022-01-18T18:58:32+00:00 literally none.
9900k vs FX9590
i mean they both have asus boards but from wildly different generations and platforms. both have nvidia gpus and are on windows 10 but thats about it. no shared devices other than the networking.
-
Anonymous
2022-01-18T19:21:03+00:00 Now I'm curious; let's all see if the problem happens in Windows Sandbox. That should eliminate any hardware issues, no?
EDIT: Windows Sandbox doesn't have the problem for me.
Also, my native Windows task manager lag has gone from 3s up to around 30s. O.O
-
Anonymous
2022-01-19T09:44:15+00:00 I have also tried Windows Sandbox and the Task Manager in it works ok. However I was able, last evening, to improve the speed of my Task Manager by updating my AMD drivers using the auto-detect tool at https://www.amd.com/en/support
Mouse lag when sorting the columns is gone, and time to sort is down to ~2 seconds from 5+.
However I still have mouse lag when opening the Task Manager the first time after a reboot.
The drivers I had to update were:
Windows Update still shows I have the following outdated drivers, which I'll try to update: