This unfortunately only solves the case where you're changing the column to sort (so by CPU, by memory, or by name), but changing between tabs is still very laggy.
Sorting in Task manager is extremely slow.
Task manager sorting is extremely slow when I switch from sorting by name to performance metrics or vice versa.
For example - I can sort by name and if after that I decide to sort by one of the performance metrics - it's going to take about 3 seconds to do so. After that - I can freely sort by any of the performance metrics and I will experience no lag, unless I try to sort by the name again. In which case I will see another lag, also about 3 seconds. And from this point the cycle repeats.
I have had this issue before - the only resolution I have found - was to reinstall the windows, but it's not a solution I find sustainable.
TLDR
Sorting by CPU takes 3 seconds, after that, sorting by name takes 3 seconds, if I try to sort by CPU again - I will get another lag of the similar duration.
What can be done about it?
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
51 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2023-01-29T17:12:30+00:00 -
Anonymous
2023-01-29T17:05:01+00:00 Finally got rid of the lag. This was so annoying. Guess Microsoft needs to rework the code of the Group by type setting.
Disable Task Mananger's "Group by type" Setting
https://mornechamberlain.dev/2022/04/windows-task-manager-slow-order-by/
-
Anonymous
2023-01-10T06:52:31+00:00 I have the same problem. It works fine in Windows Safe Mode.
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Anonymous
2023-01-09T05:15:52+00:00 OS: Win 11
CPU: 12900K
Motherboard: Z690 Asus ROG Extreme
GPU: RTX3090 TI
OS Build: 22621.963
I'm seeing the same thing as you. It took about 10 seconds to sort by name today when clicking sort - it's progressively gotten worse.