Sorting in Task manager is extremely slow.

Anonymous
2021-09-02T02:26:24+00:00

Task manager sorting is extremely slow when I switch from sorting by name to performance metrics or vice versa.

For example - I can sort by name and if after that I decide to sort by one of the performance metrics - it's going to take about 3 seconds to do so. After that - I can freely sort by any of the performance metrics and I will experience no lag, unless I try to sort by the name again. In which case I will see another lag, also about 3 seconds. And from this point the cycle repeats.

I have had this issue before - the only resolution I have found - was to reinstall the windows, but it's not a solution I find sustainable.

TLDR

Sorting by CPU takes 3 seconds, after that, sorting by name takes 3 seconds, if I try to sort by CPU again - I will get another lag of the similar duration.

What can be done about it?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-01-31T17:44:08+00:00

    have this long time too , is ASUS MB play a role here?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-01-29T17:47:25+00:00

    On the same computer it is faster when I logged in with another user.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-01-10T06:52:31+00:00

    I have the same problem. It works fine in Windows Safe Mode.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Anonymous
    2023-01-05T09:34:56+00:00

    I just built a new computer a couple of months ago and I've noticed this on day 1. I've just ignored it until now and it's finally just reached the point where I'm like "why does this happen" whenever I open task manager.

    OS: Win 10

    CPU: 13900K

    Motherboard: Z790 Asus ROG Hero Maximus

    GPU: RTX4090

    Primary boot drive: Samsung 980 Pro M.2

    Secondary drives: 2x Samsung 980 Pro M.2

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments