I had the same problem. On some other forum I managed to find solution that worked for me. You need to have Microsoft Edge installed on your computer so the update can proceed to the end... Otherwise it keeps failing...
problem installing latest security update kb5005565
Hi. On the latest update of Windows 10 20h2, I could not install the update mentioned in the subject line. I did the trouble shooter, but no joy. then I tried the standalone package, no joy. then, I tried to use my windows entrprise cd to reset windows and it said sorry, we could not determine if your pc could run windows 10. This is a brand new computer, but I did put my previous cwindows that I had on the new computer.
How could Iinstall this update or do the windows reset?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2021-09-20T19:45:21+00:00 -
Anonymous
2021-09-20T08:38:13+00:00 Sorry, no joy, it still says the same sorry we cannot determine whether you can install windows 10, close setup and try again.
-
Anonymous
2021-09-19T21:07:02+00:00 Hi John -
Thanks for the response and I do apologize on the delay on mine.
Kindly try to create a new user profile and try to run the ISO on the new user profile.
To create new user profile, please follow the steps below
- Open the Settings by pressing the Windows Key + I
- Click on Accounts
- In the left pane menu, click on Family & Other Users
- Under other users, click on add someone else on this PC
- By default, it will going to ask you to sign in using a Microsoft account, click on the link below which says I don't have this person's sign in information
- Click on Add a user without Microsoft account
- Fill out a username and click next until completion.
Sign out to the current user and sign in on the new user profile.
Check if everything works fine on the new user.
Please do keep me posted of the result
Regards,
Kevin B.
-
Anonymous
2021-09-19T20:47:48+00:00 Hi John -
I'm Kevin B. windows user like you. Thank you for sharing your concern, let me help you sort things out.
This usually occurs when windows update services are not running properly on your computer. If your having an issue updating the computer or is receiving an error code whenever you try to download or install an update.
First thing that you need to do is to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. The troubleshooter will attempt to identify the issue and will fix it. Please follow the steps on the link below to perform the Update troubleshooter.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win...
Run the update again on your computer and check if the same issue persist.
If the above steps didn't resolve the issue, please perform the below troubleshooting manually on your computer.
First is to create a system restore point on your computer so you can go back to an earlier point in time if in case you need to. Follow the steps on the link below:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/cre...
After following the steps, please follow the step below:
- Open the command prompt as administrator on your computer
- Type each command below and press enter after each command
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
net stop cryptsvc
net stop trustedinstallerYou may need to run the command more than ones until you see the message that the service has stopped successfully.
(Note: Make sure that all those command will stop the services otherwise the next command will not work)- Type the following commands to clear the Windows Update cache to allow Windows 10 re-download the updates, instead of using the files already downloaded on your system that might be damaged
ren %systemroot%\softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.bak
ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak(Note: Make sure that those folders will be renamed by running those command)
- Restart the update services on the computer. On the same command prompt (running as administrator), type each command below and press enter after each command
net start wuauserv
net start bits
net start cryptsvc
net start trustedinstaller
net start appidsvc- Perform cleanboot on your computer. A cleanboot starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update that may cause issues updating your PC.
Click on the link below and follow the steps in performing cleanboot.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135...
- Repair and Restore system files to make sure that no system files are causing the issue with your update
Open the command prompt and type each command below. Press enter after each command:
SFC /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthPlease disable any 3rd party security software that you have to ensure that those applications is not blocking the installation of updates.
Restart your computer and run the update again.
Hope this will help and have a blessed day!
Thanks,
Kevin B.
Independent AdvisorI have been having the same issue for the last few days as well. All of the previous cumulative updates have installed without any problems. I found a couple of websites with ideas to fix- I have done the following:
-Command: SC config trustedinstaller start=auto.
-Disabled Malwarebytes.
-Performed clean boot via msconfig.
-Ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
-Reset the windows update components.
-Changed DNS to Primary: 8.8.8.8 and Secondary to 8.8.4.4.
-Ran SFC and DISM commands- no problems reported.
-Re-enabled .NET 3.5 & 4.8 components.
-Ran system scan via MS Defender AND Malwarebytes.
-Ran Disk Cleanup multiple times- less than 100mb cleaned each time.
-Renamed SoftwareDistribution and re-ran update's download and install.
My only thought know is that the update file is corrupt. I am running Win10Pro (64bit), version 21H1, Build 19043-1165. The only thing I can see in Macrium Reflect is that the recovery partition is 458.7mb of the available 499mb and so it is RED. But I get no other indication or errors that there is a problem with storage space (my C drive is only using 20% of its total).
I did try going to the Update Database and manually grabbing the KB5005565 update, but I have no idea where it went so I could execute it!
Please help us!!
Sean B. Haney
-
Anonymous
2021-09-19T07:21:54+00:00 Sorry, no joy. The updated rebooted my pc and at about 92% it said we could not complete the update, undoing changes. I wonder about the fact that I can't run the windows installer on my windows iso, where it says cannot determine whether your pc can run windows 10 when its already running windows 10.
I don't know whether this would help, but it has in the past occasionally when I have had such problems.