Windows 10 cannot read the installation media USB

Anonymous
2021-09-24T11:46:06+00:00

The PC : Desktop, Windows 10 home 64b. 20H2

Issues : Does not boot into Windows

Boot issues one after another since 20H2 update, such as

mouse lock up or disappear after booting into Windows

crash 20~30 minutes after booting into Windows

BSOD saying not properly started . . .

stuck at OEM's logo, simply dead

Installation media USB is created, but the system cannot read the USB.

The PC stays dead at the manufacturer's logo of the boot process. Dead.

What to do now?

Thank.

Chuenmon

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-09-26T00:39:22+00:00

    Thank you, LintekPC.

    "Are you saying, when you turn the power on to the PC, nothing happens?"

    When I turn the power on, the power is on & the manufacturer's logo is on & the boot is stuck here.

    ". . . try a different USB port."

    Have tried. All USB ports are the same.

    " . . . hit one of the F* keys . . . "

    F12 is the boot menu key on my PC. It does not work. Nothing responds if F12 is pressed down.

    "You did create the installation media correctly on the USB stick? Maybe that's your problem."

    It does not matter whether the installation media is created correctly. What it matters is whether the OS reads the flash stick. In my case, the OS does not read the flash stick.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-09-26T00:57:09+00:00

    Hi,

    I may have missed something in the conversations, but it is not necessary for the OS or flash drive to be recognized or functional to enter Bios.. You should be able to enter Bios without any drives attached at all..

    On the screen where you see the F12 to enter the Boot Menu, you mentioned a Del or F2 I think.. One of these should get you into Bios.. You may need to be quick.. Some machines only allow 1-2 seconds to hit the key.. Some even less.. After a start, start tapping the appropriate key to enter Bios or the Boot Menu before you even see the screen.. Do not hold it down.. Just tap it repeatedly..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-09-26T02:17:50+00:00

    Thank you, Paloma.

    "As for Rufus it is just an alternative method for creating the USB."

    Then, there seems to be no sense to try it since the problem is not how the installation media is created.

    By the way, I have tested all the USB ports on this PC. They are all the same, i.e., the OS does not read anything plugged into any USB port.

    "There is a hardware problem with your computer"

    I have a hunch that the SSD where the OS is installed is bad and causing the problem.

    :You should test, disconnect everything from the motherboard and after that turn on the computer, and analyze if it will get stuck . . . "

    Forgot it entirely. Years ago, learnt this trick. Disconnect all hard drives & start the PC to see whether it boots into BIOS. This is to test whether the problem is caused by hard drive. I disliked this because it scratched my fingers. I, therefore, forgot all about it, psychologically. It really is a hassle.

    The last time I took a PC down & changed a hard drive & installed an OS was 8 year ago, it was my Windows 7 Pro. Then, Windows 10 & SSD came on the market. My friends warned me not to monkey on the PCs anymore . . . . but I still tried once in 2015 & had my fingers scratched badly.

    My hunch tells me that it is very possible the SSD is bad & causing the problem.

    What must I do if I replace the current SSD in my PC with a new one?

    I had and still have installation CDs & DVDs of Win XP & Vista & Win 7 (never touched Win 8 & 8.1 & Win 8 Pro is in this laptop I am now using). I purchased a brand computer of Windows 10, an Acer Aspire T3-715 which is the one now causing me the trouble.

    Help me, Paloma. What and how must I to download Windows 10 from Microsoft and to install is onto the new SSD?

    My apology, Paloma. I am aware of the fact that my question is somehow manipulative. I understand well if you do not reply to this question. I will start another thread & make a new post.

    Thank you.

    Chuenmon

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-09-26T05:14:34+00:00

    I like that idea to disconnect all hard drives to see what happens. Maybe the Acer Aspire T3-715 will be more finger friendly. If that fails to get into BIOS, then try removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes. That will cause many computers to reset the BIOS which might be a cure. But I can't find a description or video of the process at the ACER community or on the NET in general for your model computer. Here is all I get for the question at ACER...

    https://community.acer.com/en/search?query=how%20to%20remove%20the%20cmos%20battery%20of%20an%20Acer%20Aspire%20T3-715&scope=site&search=how%20to%20remove%20the%20cmos%20battery%20of%20an%20Acer%20Aspire%20T3-715&within=1%20day

    How to remove the CMOS battery of an Acer Aspire T3-715

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-09-26T12:52:17+00:00

    Hello, Slance310.

    Welcome & thank you join the chat.

    The start of the conversation is a problem that Windows 10 stuck at manufacturer's logo during startup process. This is another thread. A gentleman suggested a re-installation by installation media USB. But the OS did not read the USB & that gentleman did not want carry on the conversation anymore, another thread, this one, continues the discussion until now.

    The issue is as this. When the PC starts up, a few seconds after pressing the start button, the startup process stops at the manufacturer's logo, namely acer, & everything is dead at this point. Del & F12 are shown together with the logo on the same screen, but they all dead.

    The OS does not read the installation media USB & there no access to the BIOS, the whole PC is stuck.

    Now the conversation has come to the point dealing with how to make the OS read the USB or how to get into BIOS of the dead PC.

    Do you have good suggestions, please?

    Chuenmon

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments