Windows 10 cannot read the installation media USB

Anonymous
2021-09-24T11:46:06+00:00

The PC : Desktop, Windows 10 home 64b. 20H2

Issues : Does not boot into Windows

Boot issues one after another since 20H2 update, such as

mouse lock up or disappear after booting into Windows

crash 20~30 minutes after booting into Windows

BSOD saying not properly started . . .

stuck at OEM's logo, simply dead

Installation media USB is created, but the system cannot read the USB.

The PC stays dead at the manufacturer's logo of the boot process. Dead.

What to do now?

Thank.

Chuenmon

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-09-27T11:58:44+00:00

    -Hi, my name is Claudeir, I'm happy to help you!

    I've read your entire case so far, and from what I understand, there is a hardware problem, either in the motherboard or in your SSD, you need to take a local technical assistance to do the hardware tests, even because, your PC is old, you said you were over 8 years old.

    Taking technical assistance is the best thing to do, since we do not have access to the system, our hands are tied.

    -Feel free to leave your opinion, marking as answered if the answer helped, or leaving more details so that we can continue the service, this is very important to us.

    Graciously,

    Claudeir

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-09-27T10:19:53+00:00

    Thank you.

    This is what I did 2 hours ago.

    1.Took the CMOS battery out of its socket for about 9 minutes, and put it back, & started the PC to see if any difference. No, it did not make any difference.

    2.Took the SSD off the main board & disconnected the hard drive SATA3 & started the PC.

    This, neither made any difference. The start up process stuck at the acer logo & keyboard, mouse, and all the USB ports were dead as before.

    What is the next to try?

    Thank you.

    Chuenmon

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-09-27T09:13:40+00:00

    That is not the same as taking the CMOS coin battery out. I wish I could find your owner's manual, but I can't. It would have instructions how to remove the battery &/or the SSD. Gently see whether you can move the clip back in that photo or whether you must flip the battery out with a fingernail at the opposite end of the clip. As far as removing the SSD, I think Slance can better describe it. I can't find a video showing it for your T3-715. Look through some of these until you feel comfortable you can do it...

    https://www.bing.com/search?q=How+to+remove+the+ssd+of+an+Acer+Aspire+T3-715&form=WNSGPH&qs=SW&cvid=d06c0d9fc908463abbaf78b92fc1d4fb&pq=How+to+remove+the+ssd+of+an+Acer+Aspire+T3-715&cc=US&setlang=en-US&nclid=4EC4ED8862E44BE6FC487D6A23719A82&ts=1632731302747&wsso=Moderate

    BING of "How to remove the SSD of an Acer Aspire T3-715"

    The T3-715 isn't there, but the process must be similar.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-09-27T03:11:54+00:00

    Thank you, Slance310.

    All right, it is clear that the BIOS reads the bootable device. Thanks for the clarification.

    BIOS determines . . .

    Therefore, the problem is BIOS.

    BIOS is not installed on hard drive or SSD, it is in the coin battery on the mainboard, the CMOS RAM.

    Therefore, the cause of the problem is something wrong in the CMOS.

    Logical?

    "It is possible that the SSD has an issue that might cause the Bios to Lock.."

    This, I do not understand.

    CMOS RAM, the coin battery and HD or SSD have no direct relationship.

    If the CMOS is bad & affects the HD or SSD, understandable because BIOS determines everything.

    But how can it be reversed?

    "I don't know if your method of resetting the Bios is getting the job done or not."

    No. In fact, I do not know how to reset the BIOS.

    A gentleman told me years ago that by disconnecting the power & then holding the start button down for 2~3 minutes would reset the BIOS. I did. Saw no difference. Some others say that coin battery MUST be taken OFF the main board for the battery to reset the BIOS. I have not yet tried this. I'll right after posting this talk.

    "resetting the Bios . . . a button on the back or on the motherboard to do this."

    Just a few seconds ago, I took a good look at both the back of the machine & the main board, but did not see any button. Or, I saw it but did not recognize it.

    The CMOS RAM battery is located next to the SSD. See photo

    Image

    It looks that there is a spring catch at the lower edge of the battery & it looks pretty tight. I do not know how to get the battery out without a proper tool.

    "there is a chance that the battery on the motherboard is dead causing issues,"

    How does one tell whether it is or not dead?

    "F12 and Del keys by tapping them repeatedly . . . Some machines give you very little time . . ."

    I know. I am sure they are dead and so also the keyboard, mouse, & all USB ports . . . when the start process is stuck at the logo of the brand.

    Thank you & really appreciate.

    Chuenmon

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-09-26T21:08:41+00:00

    Hi,

    Just one point that seems to be causing some confusion..

    It is not the OS that reads the drive... It is the Bios.. The Bios determines whether there is a bootable device, and if so, loads it.. Not until this happens does Windows have anything to do with the process.. Even then it is not the Windows on the computer, but the Windows on the Flash Drive..

    My concern is that nothing is happening when you hit the F12 or DEL key.. That indicates something with the hardware is the issue.. It is possible that the SSD has an issue that might cause the Bios to Lock.. I have had bad drives cause stuff like that.. It could even be your keyboard..

    I don't know if your method of resetting the Bios is getting the job done or not.. It is possible that your machine has a button on the back or on the motherboard to do this.. If not there should be a jumper on the motherboard to reset it.. All of which are easier than removing the battery.. I suppose there is a chance that the battery on the motherboard is dead causing issues, but it should at least allow the F12 and Del keys to work when on A\C power..

    Have you tried the F12 and Del keys by tapping them repeatedly, starting before you even see the Acer screen?

    Some machines give you very little time to do this.. I have a laptop that took nearly an entire day to get the clicks right to enter Bios.. The Bios was set for a 0 second delay.. Once I finally got in I set it to a 5 second delay which now makes entering Bios easy..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments