Click on the speaker on the taskbar, if at the end of the title there is an ^ click on it and pick a different title.
As windows does not recognize either sound card, that is not an option.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
"No Audio Output Devices Installed"
This morning when I logged onto my pc, there was a red X over my speaker icon next to the clock in the tray.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATE 5/18/2021: SOLUTION WAS THE FOLLOWING:
I figured it out.
I opened CMD prompt as Admin and ran the following commands.
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
I then restarted the Windows Audio service in services.msc
And what do you know, my audio is back!
It appears windows Update removed the service accounts from the Administrators groups and never put them back.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
This must have happened sometime on 5/15 as on 5/14 there was no issue.
I checked my Sound control panel and found that there are no Output/Playback or Input/Recording devices anymore...
I then checked my audio drivers and no issues at all...
I then ran the Sound troubleshooter, and it didn't do anything to help.
I uninstalled all my audio drivers and reinstalled them, but no change. Rather strangely, I tried installing my original version RealTek Audio driver... It would uninstall my current drivers, and then install the new ones, then prompt for restart. After restart, it opened the installer again and asked to do the same uninstall/install/reboot. No matter how many times I did this, the Driver MSI package kept opening on boot. Perhaps windows was preventing it from installing?
I checked my BIOS to see if audio was disabled there, but it was enabled.
I checked Windows Update, and saw that an update KB5003173 failed and wanted me to retry. It would not work. I did a sfc /scannow and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. I checked my Aorus drivers and saw there was an AMD chipset update, so I installed it. After reboot, the KB5003173 successfully installed.
Audio still broken at this point...
I tried to uninstall KB5003173 but it didn't work and I got this...
I then cruised this MS Answers site and found tons of other people with the same issue, but none of the proposed solutions seemed to work for them or I. One of them even recommended doing an In-place Windows 10 Upgrade / Install. I did this and guess what? It's still broken.
I checked my update history, and these are the only things that installed or tried to install on 5/15/21:
This originally had a date of 5/15, but I got to it work today on 5/16.
The only other things were these....
Windows Defender is my only security software.
My Hardware:
Why does this say no sound card found???????
I have also since flashed my Bios to F33J which is the newest version released just 2 weeks ago. Audio still broken.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Click on the speaker on the taskbar, if at the end of the title there is an ^ click on it and pick a different title.
As windows does not recognize either sound card, that is not an option.
I also explained in my first post how to immediately block the problem update after System Restore. I have suggested this thousands of times before in Windows 10 and no one has had problems with it; if so then it could again go to account or install corruption. What was the result of Step 17 in the performance checklist I gave you to test a new Local Admin account?
If the problem is not the account then compare your install to the one in this gold standard Clean Install in this link which compiles the best possible Install of Windows which will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given, has zero reported problems, and is better than any amount of money could buy: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...
The reason I suggest this is that no one who has adopted the install in the above link has ever come back to report further problems I've seen, including another version failure. This is because everything in Windows 10 is dependent upon the quality of the install, especially Version Updates which will choke on lesser quality installs, and there is no possibility of problems if you stick ONLY with the steps, tools and methods in that tutorial.
It is also one of life's great learning experiences that will permanently make you the master of your PC because you will learn everything that works best and how to keep it that way.
Greg,
Yeah I get it, I have done thousands of clean windows installs. Windows Update has **** me tens of thousands of times. The behavior that system restore showed was absolutely irresponsible, as I was forced into updating again afterward without ever having explorer load.
What I can't afford to do right now is the clean install as the corresponding downtime is unmanageable. Its also the nuclear option which says, we don't know what is wrong, so let's just start over. While I advocate this nuclear option many times over for many circumstances where the time to troubleshoot far outweighs the time investment of the clean install and re-setup, this in no way helps anyone determine what in Windows ****uring these updates. I am trying to make progress and advance troubleshooting knowledge, if not a potential bug fix to prevent this from happening in the future.
As it turns out, somehow these updates removed the local and network service accounts out of the admin groups.
I ran the following commands to add them back:
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
I then went and restarted the "Windows Audio" service in services.msc
Bam, both my sound cards instantly came online.
All my audio is back online!
I just saw your post edit above which I dont' get notifications for. I am very glad to hear that command worked.
As to your questions about System Restore and Windows Updates - which both also go to the quality of the underlying install which is what matters most in WIndows 10 - merely doing a reinstall is not enough, assurance that none of these problems happen again has only been achieved by those millions who have done the gold standard Clean Install Windows 10 because they learn everything that works best and how to maintain it.
System Restore can malfunction but is becoming more resilient and also reacts directly to the quality of the install. It remains the first line of defense. One thing that can fix it if it fails in Windows or Boot Mode is to run a Disk Check which may repair file system errors that are blocking it's success: Disk Check
How to Run CHKDSK in Windows 10 from CMD or Before Boot
Let me know if there's anything else.
Also when ready please mark the post which helped most as the Answer (or Resolved), to help others. A rating is also appreciated.