KB5003173 Killed my audio

Anonymous
2021-05-16T22:22:22+00:00

"No Audio Output Devices Installed"

This morning when I logged onto my pc, there was a red X over my speaker icon next to the clock in the tray.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

UPDATE 5/18/2021: SOLUTION WAS THE FOLLOWING:

I figured it out.  

I opened CMD prompt as Admin and ran the following commands.

net localgroup Administrators /add localservice

net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice

I then restarted the Windows Audio service in services.msc

And what do you know, my audio is back!

It appears windows Update removed the service accounts from the Administrators groups and never put them back.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This must have happened sometime on 5/15 as on 5/14 there was no issue.

I checked my Sound control panel and found that there are no Output/Playback or Input/Recording devices anymore...

I then checked my audio drivers and no issues at all...

I then ran the Sound troubleshooter, and it didn't do anything to help.

I uninstalled all my audio drivers and reinstalled them, but no change.  Rather strangely, I tried installing my original version RealTek Audio driver... It would uninstall my current drivers, and then install the new ones, then prompt for restart.  After restart, it opened the installer again and asked to do the same uninstall/install/reboot.  No matter how many times I did this, the Driver MSI package kept opening on boot.  Perhaps windows was preventing it from installing?

I checked my BIOS to see if audio was disabled there, but it was enabled.

I checked Windows Update, and saw that an update KB5003173 failed and wanted me to retry.  It would not work.  I did a sfc /scannow and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth.  I checked my Aorus drivers and saw there was an AMD chipset update, so I installed it.  After reboot, the KB5003173 successfully installed.

Audio still broken at this point...

I tried to uninstall KB5003173 but it didn't work and I got this...

I then cruised this MS Answers site and found tons of other people with the same issue, but none of the proposed solutions seemed to work for them or I.  One of them even recommended doing an In-place Windows 10 Upgrade / Install.  I did this and guess what? It's still broken.

I checked my update history, and these are the only things that installed or tried to install on 5/15/21:

This originally had a date of 5/15, but I got to it work today on 5/16.

The only other things were these....

Windows Defender is my only security software.

My Hardware:

Why does this say no sound card found???????

I have also since flashed my Bios to F33J which is the newest version released just 2 weeks ago.  Audio still broken.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-08-21T19:36:06+00:00

    Had the same issue after some updates (no output or input devices found). Tried the standard fixes (reinstall drivers, restart, etc.). I then ran the commands noted in the update to the original post and restarted the service. The devices came back, and audio is working again.

    I am on 21H1 and the updates I received prior to this issue today were KB5005033 and KB5004331.

    Considering the fix, I suspect that this has to do with a security change to mitigate privilege escalation methods (e.g. PrintNightmare stuff maybe).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-07-19T15:17:16+00:00

    Latitude 5400- No Sound after May-2021 windows update - Page 4 - Dell Community

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations

    The ConsoleSecurity shows as Zero-Length Binary Value

    You can import the following.

    "O:SYG:SYD:(A;;CC;;;IU)(A;;0xf03bf;;;SY)(A;;CCSWLOSDRCWDWO;;;LS)(A;;CCLO;;;NS)(A;;0xf03bf;;;BA)(A;;CCWPCR;;;RD)S:NO_ACCESS_CONTROL"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-07-11T13:01:08+00:00

    Had the same issue after the 21H1 update, spend hours with Microsoft support trying to resolve it but they couldn’t and convinced me my gpu was faulty.

    Your solution fixed it! This needs Microsoft to acknowledge and document for their support ASAP before they have other people sending their graphics cards back for no reason!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-07-03T18:18:20+00:00

    I have the same question and just find solution form CSDN:
    Right Click on Windows Icon(LeftBottom Corner),then click “Windows PowerShell(Administrator)”,input as follow
    net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice

    net localgroup Administrators /add localservice

    Then restart my PC,and OK.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-07-02T19:26:04+00:00

    Glad you found the post!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments