Windows 10 will not update anymore; stuck in 1909

Anonymous
2021-05-17T01:54:45+00:00

TLDR: Update page shows "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." for the last one week. It is still in Version 1909 Build 18363.1556.

Long story: It has been promising Feature update 2004 for quite a long time but did not really deliver. However, I had been getting regular security and quality minor updates. Around a month ago, when I started getting the end of service notifications for 1909 I tried to force updates by hitting "Check for updates" and it tried doing a huge download for 20H2. I think after a long installation process it aborted around 45% and rolled back. Tried a couple of times and the same result.

Now, I did a few methods suggested in various forums and Microsoft support sites like running update troubleshooter, a scan, running commands as administrator, setting right a few registry entries etc. I even rolled the last cumulative update for 1909 KB5003169 and it got reinstalled on the next reboot but the "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." returned.

I am worried because I will be missing out important security updates given that 1909 has reached the end of service.

UPDATE: The error code against the update 20H2 update is given as 0xC1900101

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-22T15:04:09+00:00

    I tried updating driver for a bunch of devices that I think closely match those in the list but Windows claims that the best driver is already installed and reverts to Windows Update to find best match. 

    I notice that there are many device drivers that are hidden and turns out to be for devices like phones, external hard drives, USB devices, printers etc that I have once connected and don't actively use any more. May be I can uninstall them if that is ok but I don't know many of the PCI devices listed in the list.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-22T16:47:14+00:00

    Yes, you can uninstall them.

    Also, Can you let me know your PC make and exact model?

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-22T17:28:37+00:00

    HP Product number X6V89UA#ABL

    Model 15-ay028ca

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-23T11:13:44+00:00

    Please try to download and install drivers(Display, Network, Bluetooth, Audio) from the link below.

    Uninstall the currently installed driver before installing the downloaded driver.

    https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservic...


    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites.

    The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-05-26T02:14:23+00:00

    Hi Paul, 

    Thank you for you continued support. 

    I went to the HP link you had provided. Thank you for that. I let the HP tool in that website to detect my drivers and fix them but it did not find any problems. I found a few other resources at HP support page that I had not previously tried and ran a few diagnostics from HP though they did not help point out any issues either.

    Then there is this page: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/help/windows-10-support-center-computing I did steps 1 through 3 and updated my BIOS and hoped that would solve it as claimed by HP but no avail. 

    Now step #4 Update Graphics driver closely matches the suggestion from you as well. However, I am unable to determine going through the drivers listed at https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-ay000-notebook-pc-series-touch/10862302/model/13443443?sku=X6V89UA and my Device Manager, which one I should download.

    This is from my Device Manager:

     

    This is the list from HP's website for my laptop model and serial number:

    Now, this is only the graphics driver and I haven't even looked at other drivers you suggested and those flagged by error log. 

    I am at my wit's end and even considering a reset. But worried if I reset, and Windows still uses the same drivers will this issue persist?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments