Windows 10 will not update anymore; stuck in 1909

Anonymous
2021-05-17T01:54:45+00:00

TLDR: Update page shows "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." for the last one week. It is still in Version 1909 Build 18363.1556.

Long story: It has been promising Feature update 2004 for quite a long time but did not really deliver. However, I had been getting regular security and quality minor updates. Around a month ago, when I started getting the end of service notifications for 1909 I tried to force updates by hitting "Check for updates" and it tried doing a huge download for 20H2. I think after a long installation process it aborted around 45% and rolled back. Tried a couple of times and the same result.

Now, I did a few methods suggested in various forums and Microsoft support sites like running update troubleshooter, a scan, running commands as administrator, setting right a few registry entries etc. I even rolled the last cumulative update for 1909 KB5003169 and it got reinstalled on the next reboot but the "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." returned.

I am worried because I will be missing out important security updates given that 1909 has reached the end of service.

UPDATE: The error code against the update 20H2 update is given as 0xC1900101

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-19T03:02:24+00:00

    After running the script from tenforums I tried running the updates. It was the same result, downloaded, installed, restarted, blue screen with progress percentage and shuts down at around 45%. Restarting it shows "Trying to recover installation" and then "Undoing changes made...". No difference.

    Looks like Repair upgrade is the only option left.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-19T03:04:17+00:00

    Good Day Curious_userCA,

    Proceed with the Repair upgrade, keep us posted with the results, if you have any question reach out to us here in the community anytime.

    Have a wonderful day ahead and stay safe.

    Sincerely,

    Carlo T.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-20T01:55:29+00:00

    Hi Carlo,

    Unfortunately, repair upgrade didn't work for me as well.

    Like I had mentioned earlier, when the computer restarts after downloading and installing, it shows "working on updates xx%". Everytime in the past ten or so times, including the Repair upgrade, it stops at 48% and shuts down.

    This time I was able to see it very briefly flash a message, something like "Windows could not configure the update " or something to that effect .

    Looks like I have run out of all options. Let me know if there is any.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-20T02:39:40+00:00

    Good Day Curious_userCA

    I appreciate your time in getting back to this thread, if the steps did not work, no worries since this is an open forum, maybe someone else in the community has an idea or solution regarding with this issue. I will keep this thread open.

    Have a wonderful day ahead and stay safe.

    Sincerely,

    Carlo T.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-05-20T03:56:46+00:00

    Hi Curious_userCA,

    I'm Paul, an Independent Advisor. I hope I can help you with your concern.

    I suggest that you try repair upgrade to Windows 10 version 2004.

    Download the Windows 10 version 2004 from the link below.

    https://tb.rg-adguard.net/dl.php?go=ed2dc1aa

    Repair Upgrade installation.

    1. Right-click Windows 10 ISO file and click Mount.
    2. Open/run the Setup.exe.
    3. The preparation starts
    4. To get important updates, select Download and install updates. (Wait while checking for updates).
    5. Accept the terms of the license agreement
    6. The installation is ready to be applied, verify the information and ensure that "Keep personal files and applications is checked".
    7. Click on Install to start the upgrade.

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted.


    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites.

    The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments