Windows 10 will not update anymore; stuck in 1909

Anonymous
2021-05-17T01:54:45+00:00

TLDR: Update page shows "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." for the last one week. It is still in Version 1909 Build 18363.1556.

Long story: It has been promising Feature update 2004 for quite a long time but did not really deliver. However, I had been getting regular security and quality minor updates. Around a month ago, when I started getting the end of service notifications for 1909 I tried to force updates by hitting "Check for updates" and it tried doing a huge download for 20H2. I think after a long installation process it aborted around 45% and rolled back. Tried a couple of times and the same result.

Now, I did a few methods suggested in various forums and Microsoft support sites like running update troubleshooter, a scan, running commands as administrator, setting right a few registry entries etc. I even rolled the last cumulative update for 1909 KB5003169 and it got reinstalled on the next reboot but the "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." returned.

I am worried because I will be missing out important security updates given that 1909 has reached the end of service.

UPDATE: The error code against the update 20H2 update is given as 0xC1900101

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-06-06T02:33:11+00:00

    In the meantime I tried to upgrade with a USB stick with the latest edition downloaded as per the earlier suggestion.

    It repeats the original error except I am stuck with an even older version. I guess the only option is to format the drive and install.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-07-23T12:04:15+00:00

    I'm wondering if you have had any further success. I'm having virtually the same set of issues you have. I have used the MediaCreationTool, I've done the Windows 10 Updater, renamed those directories and stopped/started services. I've done the full restore of Windows back to the factory settings - basically everything all the forums keep repeating, but I still get stuck with "your device is missing important security and quality fixes." I have had the 0xC1900101-0x20017 error as well.

    A complete factory reset took me back to a much earlier version of WIndows 10, and it went through a series of updates. I'm now on Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, with a Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.1533". I can't get past that.

    Hopefully, there's someone out there that has figured this problem out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-10-05T22:44:10+00:00

    Please for the love of god say you figured or heard or found something, anything?? Ive been stuck on this build since last year sometime and have just given up for the most part. Was hoping Win 11 would save me, but you have to have Win 10 version 2004 or better and I CANT GET THERE. I pre loaded the Battlefield 2042 beta and I will not be able to even play the game because my windows version is 18363 and 19041 or higher is necessary. IM LOSING MY MIND

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments