Windows 10 will not update anymore; stuck in 1909

Anonymous
2021-05-17T01:54:45+00:00

TLDR: Update page shows "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." for the last one week. It is still in Version 1909 Build 18363.1556.

Long story: It has been promising Feature update 2004 for quite a long time but did not really deliver. However, I had been getting regular security and quality minor updates. Around a month ago, when I started getting the end of service notifications for 1909 I tried to force updates by hitting "Check for updates" and it tried doing a huge download for 20H2. I think after a long installation process it aborted around 45% and rolled back. Tried a couple of times and the same result.

Now, I did a few methods suggested in various forums and Microsoft support sites like running update troubleshooter, a scan, running commands as administrator, setting right a few registry entries etc. I even rolled the last cumulative update for 1909 KB5003169 and it got reinstalled on the next reboot but the "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." returned.

I am worried because I will be missing out important security updates given that 1909 has reached the end of service.

UPDATE: The error code against the update 20H2 update is given as 0xC1900101

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Sumit 44,436 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2021-05-29T05:09:36+00:00

    >>1. Can I not get these issues resolved by using the Reset method within Windows Settings?

    You can try Reset for sure, but chances are it may fail too. Also, a clean install gives minimal problems in the future compared to a reset hence suggested.

    >>2. Do I need to do a clean install removing all files? Wouldn't reinstall with retaining files but not applications work?

    You can move the files to a different drive and do a clean install. It is always recommended to format OS drive for maximum benefits.

    I have another thing to suggest to you - a fresh start, which is available for 1909. This should keep the files and reinstall Windows from the cloud. If that doesn't work, do a clean install.

    Give your PC a Fresh Start (microsoft.com)

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-windows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-29T04:45:45+00:00

    A few questions before I try this destructive method.

    1. Can I not get these issues resolved by using the Reset method within Windows Settings?
    2. Do I need to do a clean install removing all files? Wouldn't reinstall with retaining files but not applications work?
    3. If no to above questions, can I do it on the same PC by downloading locally instead of USB?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-28T02:06:47+00:00

    For sure!

    When you say this PC corrupts the USB drive, does the USB drive turn write-protected as well?

    No. It has been quite sometime but basically it fails to recognize it anymore. It wouldn't format it as well. However, I can reformat in another device and restore the USB.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Sumit 44,436 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2021-05-27T15:30:22+00:00

    For sure!

    When you say this PC corrupts the USB drive, does the USB drive turn write-protected as well?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-05-27T15:26:20+00:00

    Can I do this USB in a different computer running windows 10? One of things I have noticed before is that this computer corrupts any USB I try to format or when I try ti create a boot able drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments