Let me know what happens when you create another Local Admin account like I wrote in my first post.
I am here to help you if you need it.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Fast traslate
Icon translate
I had previously requested help, but I had trouble getting assistance locally. I need to do a repair install. All files are read only, and I need to use a bootable media. I have heard that sandisk usb drives may require to be partitioned, and I do not have all the links except in one of these links:
or
I have to try to do the repair install, so I can back up all of my files. but I need to figure out how to change all read-only files so I can back them up.
Also, there is a new update, but I need to figure out if I should wait to update it until after I fix my profile. Right now, it is on a metered connection.
Please advise.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Let me know what happens when you create another Local Admin account like I wrote in my first post.
I am here to help you if you need it.
Let me know what happens when you create another Local Admin account like I wrote in my first post.
I am here to help you if you need it.
Well, I created the new account, then I made it an administrator account. I am not sure why it made me create three security questions. The very first profile just made me make a password hint. Since I wasn't able to get my dad to help me today, I will have to do it tomorrow. I am guessing that I will have to back up everything somehow. I think that you are suggesting that I won't have to use the command prompt, but I am not sure. I know that I want to go beyond C:/users, but I also want to try to do the repair install that is likely in several posts. I will probably want to delete previously backed up C;/users and try to undo the read-only files and some of those links about read only files do not seem to apply. The initially copied files did not copy all of C:/users, and I know that it did not copy all of the files due to them being read only. I will try to copy some system files such as fonts, etc. However, if I can repair the original profile, that might not be necessary.
The new account is not a Microsoft account, but it is an administrator account.
Let me know what happens when you create another Local Admin account like I wrote in my first post.
I am here to help you if you need it.
I did create that account. However,
In an earlier post, you had mentioned that if I want to copy read only files, I need to go to the command prompt and boot using a bootable media. However the instructions that you gave me basically say to save to a USB drive or dvd. I want to save to an external hard drive. I do not want to simply copy to an alternate profile. Is it possible to copy to an external hard drive at command prompt, or copy other files than C;/user to another profile and override read only? See here:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2880-open-command-prompt-boot-windows-10-a.html https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/rescue-files-when-windows-wont-start/862c143f-9239-4e63-8968-635e8ba9efd6
I noticed that there has not been any further replies. I am still awaiting a reply. I am also trying to get help on tenforums now.
Please see the linkhere to see what they are saying. They are claiming i don't need a bootable media, but need to edit the registration. However, they won't say anything about how that is messing up other people's accounts, and are not answering all my questions. I still am waiting on a response about if using the command prompt can use an external hard drive. I have mentioned about wanting to copy more than C:/users and files being read only. That is why I think that you mentioned command prompt, and not simply copying to the alternate profile.
Also, the link above, they keep saying other things, like I need to edit the registry to fix the corrupt profile. Someone who tried that, said it deleted two profiles. These people will not address that. They will not answer a lot of my questions. Please try to address my remaining questions here. I suspect that a combination of responses on these sites might help me, but I am not sure. I do not understand why nobody is responding here, as I have asked more than one person.