I have a corrupted profile after a recent update. Can somebody help me figure out how to do a repair install?

Anonymous
2021-04-28T03:30:43+00:00

Fast traslate

Icon translate

I had previously requested help, but I had trouble getting assistance locally. I need to do a repair install. All files are read only, and I need to use a bootable media. I have heard that sandisk usb drives may require to be partitioned, and I do not have all the links except in one of these links:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-forced-an-update-didnt-recognize-my/9cf90e3a-8008-4538-8bd2-debf7d6049b3

or 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-update-crashes-windows-and-previous-update/0802d582-a89e-4f91-ae7a-1b89e8d962a3

I have to try to do the repair install, so I can back up all of my files. but I need to figure out how to change all read-only files so I can back them up.

Also, there is a new update, but I need to figure out if I should wait to update it until after I fix my profile. Right now, it is on a metered connection.

Please advise.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-04T05:11:24+00:00

    This is why I suggested days ago to create a new Local Admin account to replace the corrupted and Temp accounts. I will give you these steps again so you can finally get this sorted out and done.

    Test for account corruption by creating a new Admin Local Account in Settings > Accounts > Family & Other People > Other People, sign into it, see if problem persists:

    http://www.howtogeek.com/226540/how-to-create-a...

    http://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-user-a...

    If you're blocked from creating a new account, try enabling the built=in hidden Administrator account used only in emergencies, by one of these methods:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2969-enable... then sign into it leaving the password box blank, to create the new account as above.

    If the problem goes away move your files over, test all programs run correctly or reinstall.

    Then when ready you can delete the old and temp accounts in the same place as above, and convert the new account to your MS account if desired:                
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5464-delete...

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5375-switch...

    You can also try repairing the account or install using a fresh set of installation files running a Repair Install as shown here: https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2016/06/how-to...

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted. If you will wait to choose if I resolved your problem, I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-04T04:56:29+00:00

    What did you mean when you said the MS account you created is signed in under the Temp account? Huh. It's either one or the other.

    Also I had suggested to create and sign into a new Local Admin account, I have people with Temp Accounts do this several times a day to test if it works properly, and if so then move the files over, set it up, then delete the old and Temp Accounst by one of these methods: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5464-delete...

    THis way if the old account was a MS Account you are replacing it with the new Local Admin account, and once it's deleted can now be converted to the MS Account. But if you only had a Local Account and wanted a MS Account, then I suppose it's OK to create that as the new account.

    Now, the question is if the new MS Account works properly and can open and edit files correctly? If not report back the problems. If so then set it up and when ready delete the old and temp accounts and you should be all good.

    No. I signed into an MS account, and it tries to force me to verify it in order to switch to the temp account. It won't let me sign out of it. Also, it won't e-mail the back up e-mails, nor text my phone number that is listed. I was asking if you know who I might contact to get that fixed. It also wants me to verify the account in order to switch to a local account. Both the MS account that connects to the Temp account, and the new MS account are Admin MS accounts. However, one automatically logs in under the Temp account, and one I have to log into after being in low power mode, or shutting down the computer. There is some problem with Microsoft not sending verification codes to my back-up e-mails and security phone number. It does not do it. Microsoft gives me the option to remove those, but I have to get verification codes from them to remove them (and it is not sending them for some reason). I need to contact Microsoft for that. I think the only way to do that is if they will call me on that number. I cannot use that alternate admin account if they are forcing me to verify it and they are not sending codes to me. I already mentioned these things in the last post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-04T00:30:50+00:00

    What did you mean when you said the MS account you created is signed in under the Temp account? Huh. It's either one or the other.

    Also I had suggested to create and sign into a new Local Admin account, I have people with Temp Accounts do this several times a day to test if it works properly, and if so then move the files over, set it up, then delete the old and Temp Accounst by one of these methods: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5464-delete...

    THis way if the old account was a MS Account you are replacing it with the new Local Admin account, and once it's deleted can now be converted to the MS Account. But if you only had a Local Account and wanted a MS Account, then I suppose it's OK to create that as the new account.

    Now, the question is if the new MS Account works properly and can open and edit files correctly? If not report back the problems. If so then set it up and when ready delete the old and temp accounts and you should be all good.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-03T17:21:03+00:00

    All of the user account files should be under C:\Users for that account. Click on it and let it assign permissions for all files from your new Admin account, with a progress bar traveling across the Explorer address bar until the User folders are shown and can be copied to the new account.  

    Not all of the files that I want are under users. Also, I tried signing into the alternate profile which was assigned to an email address. It required me to verify it to sign out. However, it wouldn’t send a verification code to any of the email addresses or the phone number that were registered to it for security. Not even to spam, and I know my google voice number does not block non-contacts. Who do I contact to get that fixed? Obviously I cannot use that profile if I cannot verify it. I was only able to get out of the profile by shutting down my computer. At the same time, I thought we were also talking about repairing the other account?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-05-03T01:01:04+00:00

    All of the user account files should be under C:\Users for that account. Click on it and let it assign permissions for all files from your new Admin account, with a progress bar traveling across the Explorer address bar until the User folders are shown and can be copied to the new account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments