I have a corrupted profile after a recent update. Can somebody help me figure out how to do a repair install?

Anonymous
2021-04-28T03:30:43+00:00

Fast traslate

Icon translate

I had previously requested help, but I had trouble getting assistance locally. I need to do a repair install. All files are read only, and I need to use a bootable media. I have heard that sandisk usb drives may require to be partitioned, and I do not have all the links except in one of these links:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-forced-an-update-didnt-recognize-my/9cf90e3a-8008-4538-8bd2-debf7d6049b3

or 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-update-crashes-windows-and-previous-update/0802d582-a89e-4f91-ae7a-1b89e8d962a3

I have to try to do the repair install, so I can back up all of my files. but I need to figure out how to change all read-only files so I can back them up.

Also, there is a new update, but I need to figure out if I should wait to update it until after I fix my profile. Right now, it is on a metered connection.

Please advise.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-04T18:56:45+00:00

    First try creating the Local Admin account and copying the data over to it This works for most people and needs to be tried before anything else.

    If it works and resolves the problem then you can run a Repair Install from the new Admin account to see if it fixes the old account If not delete it and the Temp account and run from the new account.

    Just for verification, do you mean to create the bootable media from the local administrator account, then to do the repair install? If not, please verify what you mean? I do want to copy other files besides the C;/Users

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-04T18:24:41+00:00

    First try creating the Local Admin account and copying the data over to it This works for most people and needs to be tried before anything else.

    If it works and resolves the problem then you can run a Repair Install from the new Admin account to see if it fixes the old account If not delete it and the Temp account and run from the new account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-04T12:09:36+00:00

    Joshua, a Local Account does NOT use an email account. It shows in the first link how to avoid having to set up a Microsoft account. Please go back and read it carefully and ask if you have any questions. Then create the Local Admin account and test to see if the problem with the files is resolved.

    If the issue is a corrupted account as we know it likely is due to the Temp Account you also have there, the Read Only problem should be resolved by the new Local Admin account and then you can move into that account, delete the others and change the Local Account to your MS account.

    I will try to create one again. However, I still want to save more than user files, and likely try to do a repair install. I just am skeptical that the command prompt will override the read only issue when backing up files. However, if I can do the repair install, maybe everything will be fine. I am aware though, that I am on a metered connection, and more updates are available. It seems like Windows updates every month.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-04T06:04:59+00:00

    Joshua, a Local Account does NOT use an email account. It shows in the first link how to avoid having to set up a Microsoft account. Please go back and read it carefully and ask if you have any questions. Then create the Local Admin account and test to see if the problem with the files is resolved.

    If the issue is a corrupted account as we know it likely is due to the Temp Account you also have there, the Read Only problem should be resolved by the new Local Admin account and then you can move into that account, delete the others and change the Local Account to your MS account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-05-04T05:25:12+00:00

    This is why I suggested days ago to create a new Local Admin account to replace the corrupted and Temp accounts. I will give you these steps again so you can finally get this sorted out and done.

    Test for account corruption by creating a new Admin Local Account in Settings > Accounts > Family & Other People > Other People, sign into it, see if problem persists:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/226540/how-to-create-a...
    http://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-user-a...

    If you're blocked from creating a new account, try enabling the built=in hidden Administrator account used only in emergencies, by one of these methods:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2969-enable... then sign into it leaving the password box blank, to create the new account as above.

    If the problem goes away move your files over, test all programs run correctly or reinstall.

    Then when ready you can delete the old and temp accounts in the same place as above, and convert the new account to your MS account if desired:                
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5464-delete...
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5375-switch...
     
    You can also try repairing the account or install using a fresh set of installation files running a Repair Install as shown here: https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2016/06/how-to...

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted. If you will wait to choose if I resolved your problem, I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    Most likely, that first link is what I did to create the MS account which I a m having problems with (as it suggests using an e-mail address). I would like to see if there is some way to contact Microsoft to get them to fix the problem with them not sending verification codes to my e-mail and phone number. Obviously, I cannot remove that feature without waiting 30 days. I can see that the option is available to repair my original account, but I will need to try to back up data from the command prompt, and it seems that there is no guarantee that it will remove the Read Only block.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments