I have a corrupted profile after a recent update. Can somebody help me figure out how to do a repair install?

Anonymous
2021-04-28T03:30:43+00:00

Fast traslate

Icon translate

I had previously requested help, but I had trouble getting assistance locally. I need to do a repair install. All files are read only, and I need to use a bootable media. I have heard that sandisk usb drives may require to be partitioned, and I do not have all the links except in one of these links:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-forced-an-update-didnt-recognize-my/9cf90e3a-8008-4538-8bd2-debf7d6049b3

or 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-update-crashes-windows-and-previous-update/0802d582-a89e-4f91-ae7a-1b89e8d962a3

I have to try to do the repair install, so I can back up all of my files. but I need to figure out how to change all read-only files so I can back them up.

Also, there is a new update, but I need to figure out if I should wait to update it until after I fix my profile. Right now, it is on a metered connection.

Please advise.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-01T06:16:40+00:00

    I gave you a right click shortcut to install that automates taking ownership.

    I also explained how to test a new Local Admin account to see if it resolves the problem, and if so how to copy your files over and move into it, when ready delete your old account and move the MS account to the new Local Admin account at Settings > Accounts > Your Info > Sign in with a MS Account Instead.

    will moving all the files over actually let all the files work? I noticed that I need to copy them by command prompt. I am not sure if that will remove "Read Only." as I have said, I have used that "Take Ownership" thing already, and it did not work. I know that I can possibly sign into that other account. But how do I sign into it? I know that it is a Microsoft account, but as far as I know, the Microsoft account is separate from my profile.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T21:56:08+00:00

    I gave you a right click shortcut to install that automates taking ownership.

    I also explained how to test a new Local Admin account to see if it resolves the problem, and if so how to copy your files over and move into it, when ready delete your old account and move the MS account to the new Local Admin account at Settings > Accounts > Your Info > Sign in with a MS Account Instead.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T19:14:30+00:00

    https://www.switchfast.com/blog/solved-windows-...

    I already wrote out how to access the Command Prompt from bootable media, and here is how to access it from the onboard Repair Mode in Windows 10: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanc...

    You can also try Taking Ownership using this handy right click shortcut which installs a Take Ownership shortcut to your right click menu to use in cases like this on files and folders which won't cooperate:
    https://www.askvg.com/add-take-ownership-option.... The only warning is to not use it on C:\Windows folder files as this will compromise security.

    Did you do this step yet to confirm account corruption is the issue:

    Test for account corruption by creating a new Admin Local Account in Settings > Accounts > Family & Other People > Other People, sign into it, see if problem persists:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/226540/how-to-create-a...
    http://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-user-a...

    If you're blocked from creating a new account, try enabling the built=in hidden Administrator account used only in emergencies, by one of these methods:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2969-enable... then sign into it leaving the password box blank, to create the new account as above.

    If the problem goes away move your files over, test all programs run correctly or reinstall.

    Then when ready you can delete the old account in the same place as above, and convert the new account to your MS account if desired:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5464-delete...
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5375-switch...

    You can also try repairing the account or install using a fresh set of installation files running a Repair Install as shown here: https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2016/06/how-to...

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted. If you will wait to choose if I resolved your problem, I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    ________________________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    i might try that first link tomorrow. I did already try take ownership, but it did not work. We may try the other things afterwards. I feel like the first link will be complicated, as it will be similar to take ownership (going into each individual directory). Isn't an MS account different than a profile? From my understanding, A Microsoft account is no different from my e-mail account. I noticed that one of my alternate e-mails is logged into the temp account as an administrator. I did create a new account as an administrator, but I am not sure if I should sign into it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T18:44:32+00:00

    https://www.switchfast.com/blog/solved-windows-...

    I already wrote out how to access the Command Prompt from bootable media, and here is how to access it from the onboard Repair Mode in Windows 10: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanc...

    You can also try Taking Ownership using this handy right click shortcut which installs a Take Ownership shortcut to your right click menu to use in cases like this on files and folders which won't cooperate:

    https://www.askvg.com/add-take-ownership-option.... The only warning is to not use it on C:\Windows folder files as this will compromise security.

    Did you do this step yet to confirm account corruption is the issue:

    Test for account corruption by creating a new Admin Local Account in Settings > Accounts > Family & Other People > Other People, sign into it, see if problem persists:

    http://www.howtogeek.com/226540/how-to-create-a...

    http://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-user-a...

    If you're blocked from creating a new account, try enabling the built=in hidden Administrator account used only in emergencies, by one of these methods:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2969-enable... then sign into it leaving the password box blank, to create the new account as above.

    If the problem goes away move your files over, test all programs run correctly or reinstall.

    Then when ready you can delete the old account in the same place as above, and convert the new account to your MS account if desired:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5464-delete...

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5375-switch...

    You can also try repairing the account or install using a fresh set of installation files running a Repair Install as shown here: https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2016/06/how-to...

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted. If you will wait to choose if I resolved your problem, I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    ________________________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T18:30:52+00:00

    Copying the files using the rescue method is only if they won't copy otherwise. Sometimes Read Only is not restrictive so confirm if the files can be edited.

    If not see other fixes here for Read Only:
    https://blog.switchfast.com/solved-windows-10-u...
    https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-the-%27Read-Only...
    https://www.easeus.com/storage-media-recovery/f...
    https://windowsreport.com/folder-reverting-to-r... (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)
    https://thegeekpage.com/folder-keeps-reverting-...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6yKG71YzwI

    The first link doesn't work. The second link is for Word documents only. The third link seems to be mostly for writing to USB and memory cards. Perhaps by accessing a hidden administrator account? I am not able to change the permissions, or download that tool that overrides permissions, or run command prompt as administrator from within the temp profile. I also am able to save files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments