Laptop screen going black randomly.

Anonymous
2021-02-24T06:36:07+00:00

My laptop screen is going black randomly but it stays on and the only way I can fix that is by a hard reset. I've noticed that when my pc is very loaded (for example a heavy game like Fortnite/GTAV) no problem happens, but when I do a simple task like browsing the web it freezes. Hope that was clear enough.

!UPDATE: I managed to fix the issue! Turns out it wasn't a display/gpu/driver problem - it was a  cpu problem. I was looking at my usage % at task manager and then I realised that my cpu was running at a too high clock speed. The base speed should've been 2.90 ghz and boost clock should've been 4.20 ghz. But instead what happened was that my CPU was running from 3.4 ghz to 4.25 ghz on idle on desktop, and when I do something like browsing the web it goes to a frequency it cannot handle so it crashes. The way I fixed it was by turning "Power Saver" option in power options (in control panel).

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-03-02T19:26:06+00:00

The random black screen and freezing issue has been solved by others by updating SSD firmware, or a BIOS update so check for those now on their manufacturer's web site.

Other possible fixes to try here:

Troubleshoot freezing Issues with your computer - Your Windows Guide

https://windowsreport.com/windows-8-freezes-sol... (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenan...

https://www.easeus.com/computer-instruction/fix...

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-goes...

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/gef...

How to fix black screen problems on Windows 10 | Windows Central

https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windo...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/61562...

How to Fix a Black Screen After Updating Windows 10

Fix: Windows 10 Black Screen problems (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors - Windows Help

How to fix a black screen with cursor in Windows 10 (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

Fix: Black Screen with Cursor Windows 10 - Appuals.com (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw2pX9Umb3Y

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-02-26T06:10:02+00:00

    I applied the fixes. The laptop still freezes or blackscreens tho, I've noticed that when my pc is very loaded (for example a heavy game like Fortnite/GTAV) no problem happens, but when I do a simple task like browsing the web it freezes. Hope that was clear enough.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-26T06:15:10+00:00

    Did you complete all of the steps in my first post, including the Checklist Step 10 to repair System Files, and then if necessary Step 11 to do a Repair Install?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-26T06:40:25+00:00

    I have done almost all of the things in the first post before.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-26T06:57:28+00:00

    But did you do a Repair Install? It is better than the Reset because it uses the latest fresh installation files instead of ones that might already be corrupted on the PC.

    Also what about the hardware tests?

    This is an interactive process. I give steps to perform, you do each one and then report back results until something works, so I know what to suggest next. If you need help performing any step, just ask back. But please do not skip any steps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments