Laptop screen going black randomly.

Anonymous
2021-02-24T06:36:07+00:00

My laptop screen is going black randomly but it stays on and the only way I can fix that is by a hard reset. I've noticed that when my pc is very loaded (for example a heavy game like Fortnite/GTAV) no problem happens, but when I do a simple task like browsing the web it freezes. Hope that was clear enough.

!UPDATE: I managed to fix the issue! Turns out it wasn't a display/gpu/driver problem - it was a  cpu problem. I was looking at my usage % at task manager and then I realised that my cpu was running at a too high clock speed. The base speed should've been 2.90 ghz and boost clock should've been 4.20 ghz. But instead what happened was that my CPU was running from 3.4 ghz to 4.25 ghz on idle on desktop, and when I do something like browsing the web it goes to a frequency it cannot handle so it crashes. The way I fixed it was by turning "Power Saver" option in power options (in control panel).

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-03-02T19:26:06+00:00

The random black screen and freezing issue has been solved by others by updating SSD firmware, or a BIOS update so check for those now on their manufacturer's web site.

Other possible fixes to try here:

Troubleshoot freezing Issues with your computer - Your Windows Guide

https://windowsreport.com/windows-8-freezes-sol... (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenan...

https://www.easeus.com/computer-instruction/fix...

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-goes...

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/gef...

How to fix black screen problems on Windows 10 | Windows Central

https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windo...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/61562...

How to Fix a Black Screen After Updating Windows 10

Fix: Windows 10 Black Screen problems (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors - Windows Help

How to fix a black screen with cursor in Windows 10 (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

Fix: Black Screen with Cursor Windows 10 - Appuals.com (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw2pX9Umb3Y

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Nikolino 2,205 Reputation points
    2021-02-25T20:17:53+00:00

    If I may ask,

    What kind of laptop is it? Brand, model

    RAM in GB and Hardidsk SSD or HDD?

    As far as I can follow the description: Windows 10 ... which version? Example: "20H2", 1908, etc.

    Which processor is the laptop equipped with? i5, i7?

    Does he have additional extras in hardware?

    What major software is currently built in?

    Office 2019 or ACAD or lol ... etc.

      Thank you,

    Nikolino

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-25T20:07:21+00:00

    Hi Kaloyan:

    Thanks for additional information.

    Try these fixes for "VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE" :

    https://www.makeuseof.com/video-tdr-failure/

    https://windowsreport.com/video_tdr_failure-win... (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

    https://softwarekeep.com/help-center/how-to-fix...

    https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-the-video_td... (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Reimage ad)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUHw6HJAp_k

    The Display driver is so important here that merely updating it is sometimes not enough. So let's try everything possible to get it working correctly:

    First make sure you have updated the Display driver from the PC or Display adapter maker's Support Downloads web page for your exact model number, HP Serial Number or Dell Service Tag - from the sticker on the PC.

    If necessary first remove the old driver using DDU (not necessary with Microsoft Basic driver which is a placeholder if nothing else is available) and/or installing in Safe Mode with Networking (so you have internet), or Safe Mode, accessed by one of these methods: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-saf...

    While there check also for newer chipset, BIOS/UEFI firmware (very important), network, sound, USB3 and other drivers, comparing to the ones presently installed in Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start Menu.

    If this doesn't give you the latest or ideal driver for what you need, compare it to the driver offered by the Intel driver update Utility here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/...

    or the Nvidia Update utility here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=e...

    or the AMD autodect utility here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/P...

    For Display issues one fix that is working is to Roll back or Uninstall the Driver on the Display Device > Driver tab, restart PC to reinstall driver.

    You can also try older drivers in Device Manager > Display device > Driver tab > Update Driver > Browse > Let Me Pick.

    Then you will know you've tried everything in addition to Windows Update drivers.

    Adjust the screen resolution until it fits and looks best at Settings > System > Display.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-25T13:07:39+00:00

    So I managed to connect my laptop to my TV through bluetooth. I left it idle for a while and this time it didn't black screen, but just freeze. When it froze my TV disconnected from the laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-25T08:40:39+00:00

    I don't have an HDMI cable so I can't try this right now. I've noticed that sometimes when it blackscreens it restarts itself. It even made a dump file with "VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments