@felipeinpark I feel your pain, I had KB5000802 re-install again, ive uninstalled and "paused" updates for 1 month, will see if there is something out then and give it another go. Are these forums/Q&A enough for Microsoft, or do we need to raise a support ticket ?
Programs, software and apps keep crashing after 2021 updates Windows 10
Hi there,
I am coming to you because i really don't know what else to try and it is becoming frustrating really.
Since early 2021 Windows Updates on both my desktop and laptop, January, February and the most recent now in March, i always had issues with programs crashing, not responding or closing after being opened.
On my desktop the most affected were Spotify and Razer software (all and any), when trying to run them it crashes with a not responding and close program issue.
On my laptop it has reach a really frustrating point where i can't open most of the programs, and even explorer/windows base executables such as notepad, regedit, services, explorer menus when right click on them, event viewer...even attempting to fix i can't because every window closes once i try to open and do something, it just crashes and shuts, no error message, nothing...it just closes after opening.
I've been looking around the internet for reported problems like this and solutions, the few i found were more related to MS Store apps than general programs/software or even windows executables.
I've ran a DISM (DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth) and SFC (sfc /scannow) scans through command prompt and manage to get the CBS.log and dism.log uploaded to my drive in order to see them on my desktop as in the laptop is impossible to run.
There are plenty of errors but some that caught my attention were these and similar to these that happen often:
2021-03-15 09:11:09, Info CSI 000008b3 Warning: HKCU violation: HKCU keys are not serviceable. Create them at runtime if you need them. Failing key is \REGISTRY\USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\Hangs\ with security descriptor and SDDL hash 0x0000000000000000.
2021-03-15 09:11:09, Info CSI 000008db Warning: Overlap: Registry value collision found under key \REGISTRY\USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\Hangs\ for Disable, only one component should set this value
Tried fixing registry permissions, but having broken registry keys without being able to open regedit it's no go.
Checked file system permissions and ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES are allow on all read & execute, list folder contents and read.
I don't see this as a hardware problem because these are two different systems - desktop and laptop - and i had no issues until 2021 windows updates and security updates.
Both systems are running the 20H2 version on Win 10 Pro x64 system and the subsequent updates from the end of January/early February 2021 started the issues described.
The obvious solution may look simple which is format and install from scratch but really don't want to go through that again...but more and more seems i will have to do that.
Any and all help, tips, advice is welcomed.
Thank you very much and looking forward for your replies and support.
Best regards,
AM
==========//==========
UPDATE:
February Win 10 update KB4601319 - causes crashes described on my desktop, unistalling this KB update fixes the problem.
March Win 10 update KB5000802 - causes the crashes described on both desktop and laptop, unistalling this KB update fixes the problem.
Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867) is conflictive with the issues described above and below.
Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.746) is stable and working fine.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2021-04-09T14:23:08+00:00 -
Anonymous
2021-04-11T03:02:55+00:00 Everyone is having this issue, Now Windows is Pushing this update on everyone. The fantastic message "Your PC is about to be out of date" Well... if they would just fix their update that it would work correctly that would be amazing. I have spent 6 hours on the Phone with Tech Support and they suggested getting a new hard drive as the one I have must not be capable. 1TB with 1.5 TB space open SSD from Samsung. Right it's my Drive... Next day they suggested a full clean install. I completed that, Called back after updating to current with the same issue. Gave the employee ID to the phone got connected to the Advanced tech I was speaking to, Was hung up on because he didn't have an answer. 3rd day, after multiple transfers and 2 hours on hold was hung up on hearing briefly "F*** This call" So Microsoft. These are the techs you're employing? This is the Quality of the product you are selling? Your "Quality" Updates are anything but. I will Happily go back to Linux. I have disabled updates on my computer and I am still awaiting a Quality update that wouldn't cause a crash every launch.
Peace and Chicken Grease
Ted.
-
Anonymous
2021-04-11T09:16:12+00:00 Everyone is having this issue, Now Windows is Pushing this update on everyone. The fantastic message "Your PC is about to be out of date" Well... if they would just fix their update that it would work correctly that would be amazing. I have spent 6 hours on the Phone with Tech Support and they suggested getting a new hard drive as the one I have must not be capable. 1TB with 1.5 TB space open SSD from Samsung. Right it's my Drive... Next day they suggested a full clean install. I completed that, Called back after updating to current with the same issue. Gave the employee ID to the phone got connected to the Advanced tech I was speaking to, Was hung up on because he didn't have an answer. 3rd day, after multiple transfers and 2 hours on hold was hung up on hearing briefly "F*** This call" So Microsoft. These are the techs you're employing? This is the Quality of the product you are selling? Your "Quality" Updates are anything but. I will Happily go back to Linux. I have disabled updates on my computer and I am still awaiting a Quality update that wouldn't cause a crash every launch.
Peace and Chicken Grease
Ted.
This! Exactly.
Plus: Microsoft distributed messed up "updates" to the WIN 10 community since march 2021.
No chance to avoid those by rejecting, nor was Microsoft able to turn things back to normal which should be a given here.
Even a new clean OS installation is of no use for me.Now you're playing the game of '...wait for the next patch day...' next Tuesday.
So what?
I am really tired of that behavior: no open communication, no working solutions.
Once stable (gaming) PC's are now on the verge to be thrown out of the window.
All the spare time wasted by wondering 'what did I install to mess up my system?', running hardware and software checks and so on is on your bill.
Today I received a message that the service contract with Win 10 will be changed.
I wonder why?
Sorry, nothing personal but I'm near the boiling point.
Until Microsoft fixes the messed up OS, I won't invest another penny (in games).
In fact, I want to, but couldn't use it now because of constant crashes and freezes. -
Anonymous
2021-04-17T00:56:51+00:00 I too started having the same issues with my PC locking up when idle. I started having numerous issues with my PC in March ever since Microsoft said that my PC will be out of date and I installed the 20H2 version. I had ZERO issues prior to this 20H2 Update and it infuriates me. I typically leave my PC running all day then turn it off at night. While it's running, if I leave the room and come back a few hours later it will occassionaly be on a black screen and completely unresponsive. The PC is running and on, fans are running, lights are on, and my Razor Chroma devices are lit but not responsive either. Their fluid lighting effects are locked up also. There is nothing I can do except do a hard shutoff which I hate doing. Once I restart my sytem, everything is fine. It's almost like it's attempting to hybernate or sleep and then locks up, but I have disabled all of those options and even set my hard drive to never sleep. I refuse to reformat my drive only to reinstall the same broken mess and continue to have the same issues. It's obvious that there are quite a few people having the same issues and Microsoft replies with all these pain in the a#$ checks/tests that we need to run on our end to figure out what they broke. I'm a graphic artist and didn't get my degree to be a PC technician or software designer. I have no interest nor the time to sit here all day trying to diagnose my PC's problems. Get it together Microsoft and FIX WHAT YOU BROKE!!!!!
-
Anonymous
2021-04-17T08:14:16+00:00 Hello,
I have been having the exact same issues. I've unsinstalled windows update several time and I was struggling to prevent my computer to download the updates since more or less 2 months.
After several researchs on the web I end up finding this :
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?122898-GPU-tweak-II-with-KB4601319-security-update-issue
I do not know if you guys have asus tweak installed but it was my case. I had not much hope but I was on the point to re-install my os from scratch so I decided to give it a try. I've uninstalled asus tweak then re-installed windows updates. Surprisingly, everything seems to work fine for now.
Hope that helps some of you.