In my case, i have isolated it with the new security update. uninstalling it allows me to use other apps that keeps crashing before. the thing is, you'd know it installed again after another update cycle. was having this problem since FEB updates this year. My build is actually stable. Started acting up after the updates... 2 mos since then, no fix in sight. too bad. for us.
Programs, software and apps keep crashing after 2021 updates Windows 10
Hi there,
I am coming to you because i really don't know what else to try and it is becoming frustrating really.
Since early 2021 Windows Updates on both my desktop and laptop, January, February and the most recent now in March, i always had issues with programs crashing, not responding or closing after being opened.
On my desktop the most affected were Spotify and Razer software (all and any), when trying to run them it crashes with a not responding and close program issue.
On my laptop it has reach a really frustrating point where i can't open most of the programs, and even explorer/windows base executables such as notepad, regedit, services, explorer menus when right click on them, event viewer...even attempting to fix i can't because every window closes once i try to open and do something, it just crashes and shuts, no error message, nothing...it just closes after opening.
I've been looking around the internet for reported problems like this and solutions, the few i found were more related to MS Store apps than general programs/software or even windows executables.
I've ran a DISM (DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth) and SFC (sfc /scannow) scans through command prompt and manage to get the CBS.log and dism.log uploaded to my drive in order to see them on my desktop as in the laptop is impossible to run.
There are plenty of errors but some that caught my attention were these and similar to these that happen often:
2021-03-15 09:11:09, Info CSI 000008b3 Warning: HKCU violation: HKCU keys are not serviceable. Create them at runtime if you need them. Failing key is \REGISTRY\USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\Hangs\ with security descriptor and SDDL hash 0x0000000000000000.
2021-03-15 09:11:09, Info CSI 000008db Warning: Overlap: Registry value collision found under key \REGISTRY\USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\Hangs\ for Disable, only one component should set this value
Tried fixing registry permissions, but having broken registry keys without being able to open regedit it's no go.
Checked file system permissions and ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES are allow on all read & execute, list folder contents and read.
I don't see this as a hardware problem because these are two different systems - desktop and laptop - and i had no issues until 2021 windows updates and security updates.
Both systems are running the 20H2 version on Win 10 Pro x64 system and the subsequent updates from the end of January/early February 2021 started the issues described.
The obvious solution may look simple which is format and install from scratch but really don't want to go through that again...but more and more seems i will have to do that.
Any and all help, tips, advice is welcomed.
Thank you very much and looking forward for your replies and support.
Best regards,
AM
==========//==========
UPDATE:
February Win 10 update KB4601319 - causes crashes described on my desktop, unistalling this KB update fixes the problem.
March Win 10 update KB5000802 - causes the crashes described on both desktop and laptop, unistalling this KB update fixes the problem.
Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867) is conflictive with the issues described above and below.
Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.746) is stable and working fine.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2021-04-03T00:26:49+00:00 -
Anonymous
2021-04-03T12:13:28+00:00 I've been having the same problem with my laptop crashing after the windows updates. Just tried disconnecting my external hard drives as a last resort and it seemed to start up as normal.... Now, I don't know if its something wrong with my external hard drives or if its was just my laptop getting confused...
-
Anonymous
2021-04-05T08:33:29+00:00 I have been having the same problem with windows updates starting in around Feb also. At first I thought there was something malicious on my PC. I've tried SFC, restoring to a previous point, etc etc. Programs like Chrome / Opera work ok. Steam, and Brave browser close immediately after opening, and the settings icon in my task bar (not status bar) and mail icon are gone, but there's a place holder there that I can click on. The only thing that seems to work is to uninstall the current updates and pause for a time hoping that microsoft will offer up a fix, but that's been a couple of months now so, i'm running out of breath to hold.
-
Anonymous
2021-04-05T23:37:38+00:00 I am also having this problem. The only thing that helped me is booting into Safe Mode and then setting
msconfigto Diagnostic Startup and rebooting. It doesn't start all of my applications and services, but it lets me open Notepad and other apps again.I am frustrated that this issue isn't getting any attention from the developers.
-
Anonymous
2021-04-08T17:31:00+00:00 I have similar issue apps closing few seconds after starting with no reason. Chrome working fine and some other like Steam.
I managed to do the msconfig bit.
I have second local account that could run msconfig
I managed to figure out that I had to disable all intel and creative services.
Looks like after some update there is a conflict with these services that add/change some windows parts like sound or wifi/bluetoooth.
Hope that helps some folks.