Programs, software and apps keep crashing after 2021 updates Windows 10

Anonymous
2021-03-15T11:25:10+00:00

Hi there,

I am coming to you because i really don't know what else to try and it is becoming frustrating really.

Since early 2021 Windows Updates on both my desktop and laptop, January, February and the most recent now in March, i always had issues with programs crashing, not responding or closing after being opened.

On my desktop the most affected were Spotify and Razer software (all and any), when trying to run them it crashes with a not responding and close program issue.

On my laptop it has reach a really frustrating point where i can't open most of the programs, and even explorer/windows base executables such as notepad, regedit, services, explorer menus when right click on them, event viewer...even attempting to fix i can't because every window closes once i try to open and do something, it just crashes and shuts, no error message, nothing...it just closes after opening.

I've been looking around the internet for reported problems like this and solutions, the few i found were more related to MS Store apps than general programs/software or even windows executables.

I've ran a DISM (DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth) and SFC (sfc /scannow) scans through command prompt and manage to get the CBS.log and dism.log uploaded to my drive in order to see them on my desktop as in the laptop is impossible to run.

There are plenty of errors but some that caught my attention were these and similar to these that happen often:

2021-03-15 09:11:09, Info                  CSI    000008b3 Warning: HKCU violation: HKCU keys are not serviceable. Create them at runtime if you need them. Failing key is \REGISTRY\USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\Hangs\ with security descriptor  and SDDL hash 0x0000000000000000.

2021-03-15 09:11:09, Info                  CSI    000008db Warning: Overlap: Registry value collision found under key \REGISTRY\USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\Hangs\ for Disable, only one component should set this value

Tried fixing registry permissions, but having broken registry keys without being able to open regedit it's no go.

Checked file system permissions and ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES are allow on all read & execute, list folder contents and read.

I don't see this as a hardware problem because these are two different systems - desktop and laptop - and i had no issues until 2021 windows updates and security updates.

Both systems are running the 20H2 version on Win 10 Pro x64 system and the subsequent updates from the end of January/early February 2021 started the issues described.

The obvious solution may look simple which is format and install from scratch but really don't want to go through that again...but more and more seems i will have to do that.

Any and all help, tips, advice is welcomed.

Thank you very much and looking forward for your replies and support.

Best regards,

AM

==========//==========

UPDATE:

February Win 10 update KB4601319 - causes crashes described on my desktop, unistalling this KB update fixes the problem.

March Win 10 update KB5000802 - causes the crashes described on both desktop and laptop, unistalling this KB update fixes the problem.

Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867) is conflictive with the issues described above and below.

Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.746) is stable and working fine.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-25T13:31:27+00:00

    Hello, I've had these same problems after updating to 20H2 in early 2021. I know something has broken after new update are installed when;

    • After turning on or rebooting my PC and logging on, i quickly open Task Manager, sort by CPU top processes and watch for "Windows Problem Reporter" if this comes up, generally means that my startup services or programs have failed to startup and crash constantly.
    • I am unable to open Event Viewer, after it opens, the wait spinner comes up on the mouse cursor and Event Viewer immediately closes down.
    • Attempting to open most programs or applications will result in the program halting and closing down after a few seconds after it being open.

    This has been happening since I went to 20H2 and I have found that uninstalling the following KB's fixes these issues (so far)

    • KB5000802 (I think either KB5001649 or KB461554 needed to be uninstalled, so that KB5000802 would re-appear so I could uninstall)
    • KB4601319
    • KB4601050

    It took a bit of searching on the web, but finding articles like this was great, I hope some of the key words below can help others trying to find an article like this if it helps fix the issues;

    Program application closes all of a sudden after windows update to 20H2, cant cannot open or get to read Event Viewer doesn't remain open, program randomly shuts down after a few seconds of being open. Cant install program it just closes after being opened, startup programs fail to open or start.

    *Update 02/04/2021*

    Even after uninstalling the above 3 KB's, I jumped back onto my PC a few days later, only to find the same issues occurring again, then noticed that KB5000802 has been re-installed. I did a bit of research then found that KB5000842 is meant to resolve some of the issues that KB5000802 brings, so I thought id give it ago and install the pending update KB5000842 ... it didn't make any difference, still get the same behaviors as described above.

    So I am looking into re-installing the "wushowhide.diagcab" so that I can stop these KB's from being re-downloaded and re-installed every few days/weeks.

    Im staying clear of these at the moment;

    - KB4601050

    - KB4601319

    - KB5000802

    - KB5000842 (Fyi, this will remove KB5000802 once installed, but when uninstalled, KB5000802 will come back and will need removal again)

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-25T15:13:33+00:00

    Hey StebeD,

    Indeed it's good (not really i know) that more people experiencing similar issues share their experiences so we can give as much feedback to Microsoft as possible and hopefuly in the next couple of updates coming out they find a fix and issue it so these issues and similar get sorted.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    Best regards,

    AM

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-03-26T12:14:23+00:00

    Hi,

    Thanks for the advice, creating n new user works for me, now how can I resolve the issue for my main user?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-27T22:37:02+00:00

    I would sincerely love for Microsoft to pay attention to this issue with the update since it's been a few weeks now and no signs of this being addressed and make my computer unusable.

    I have the EXACT SAME ISSUE with KB5000802 in 2004 and in 20H2 doesn't matter which. 

    OS Build 19041.746 is stable but as soon as KB5000802 is installed hardly any apps or native windows tools work. 

    PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE MICROSOFT.

    It has nothing to do with printers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-04-02T19:33:05+00:00

    Here I had the same problem in February. i formatted the pc and deactivated all uptades. Everything was fine until today and today I saw that windows installed KB4601319 and started to close again. After removing the KB4601319 it returned to normal.

    Very disappointed with microsoft.
    
    Two months and no definition.
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments