Programs, software and apps keep crashing after 2021 updates Windows 10

Anonymous
2021-03-15T11:25:10+00:00

Hi there,

I am coming to you because i really don't know what else to try and it is becoming frustrating really.

Since early 2021 Windows Updates on both my desktop and laptop, January, February and the most recent now in March, i always had issues with programs crashing, not responding or closing after being opened.

On my desktop the most affected were Spotify and Razer software (all and any), when trying to run them it crashes with a not responding and close program issue.

On my laptop it has reach a really frustrating point where i can't open most of the programs, and even explorer/windows base executables such as notepad, regedit, services, explorer menus when right click on them, event viewer...even attempting to fix i can't because every window closes once i try to open and do something, it just crashes and shuts, no error message, nothing...it just closes after opening.

I've been looking around the internet for reported problems like this and solutions, the few i found were more related to MS Store apps than general programs/software or even windows executables.

I've ran a DISM (DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth) and SFC (sfc /scannow) scans through command prompt and manage to get the CBS.log and dism.log uploaded to my drive in order to see them on my desktop as in the laptop is impossible to run.

There are plenty of errors but some that caught my attention were these and similar to these that happen often:

2021-03-15 09:11:09, Info                  CSI    000008b3 Warning: HKCU violation: HKCU keys are not serviceable. Create them at runtime if you need them. Failing key is \REGISTRY\USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\Hangs\ with security descriptor  and SDDL hash 0x0000000000000000.

2021-03-15 09:11:09, Info                  CSI    000008db Warning: Overlap: Registry value collision found under key \REGISTRY\USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\Hangs\ for Disable, only one component should set this value

Tried fixing registry permissions, but having broken registry keys without being able to open regedit it's no go.

Checked file system permissions and ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES are allow on all read & execute, list folder contents and read.

I don't see this as a hardware problem because these are two different systems - desktop and laptop - and i had no issues until 2021 windows updates and security updates.

Both systems are running the 20H2 version on Win 10 Pro x64 system and the subsequent updates from the end of January/early February 2021 started the issues described.

The obvious solution may look simple which is format and install from scratch but really don't want to go through that again...but more and more seems i will have to do that.

Any and all help, tips, advice is welcomed.

Thank you very much and looking forward for your replies and support.

Best regards,

AM

==========//==========

UPDATE:

February Win 10 update KB4601319 - causes crashes described on my desktop, unistalling this KB update fixes the problem.

March Win 10 update KB5000802 - causes the crashes described on both desktop and laptop, unistalling this KB update fixes the problem.

Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867) is conflictive with the issues described above and below.

Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.746) is stable and working fine.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T13:44:48+00:00

    Hi.. 

    I did method 1 and it was okay on new account but still exists in my old one. How can I fix my old account for that error??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-04-23T19:23:44+00:00

    I am having similar problems with an update I ran today but I am unable to get my Surface Pro 3 to allow me past the log in screen, when it even gets to the login screen, to try any of these.  Is there another way to reset the system without having to get past the login screen?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-21T09:08:41+00:00

    I have a corsair water cooling and Corsair ICUE was always crashing on my side.

    Yet, I do not know if it was related.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-04-21T09:07:35+00:00

    Hehe that was a bit my reaction also...

    Yes, I re-installed the last version of asus tweak 2. No any new crash for now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-04-20T13:04:26+00:00

    I have an Asus ROG Rampage motherboard but I don't use Asus tweak. I'll need to check and see if its installed. I was wondering if it could be my Corsair monitoring software also.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments