Programs, software and apps keep crashing after 2021 updates Windows 10

Anonymous
2021-03-15T11:25:10+00:00

Hi there,

I am coming to you because i really don't know what else to try and it is becoming frustrating really.

Since early 2021 Windows Updates on both my desktop and laptop, January, February and the most recent now in March, i always had issues with programs crashing, not responding or closing after being opened.

On my desktop the most affected were Spotify and Razer software (all and any), when trying to run them it crashes with a not responding and close program issue.

On my laptop it has reach a really frustrating point where i can't open most of the programs, and even explorer/windows base executables such as notepad, regedit, services, explorer menus when right click on them, event viewer...even attempting to fix i can't because every window closes once i try to open and do something, it just crashes and shuts, no error message, nothing...it just closes after opening.

I've been looking around the internet for reported problems like this and solutions, the few i found were more related to MS Store apps than general programs/software or even windows executables.

I've ran a DISM (DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth) and SFC (sfc /scannow) scans through command prompt and manage to get the CBS.log and dism.log uploaded to my drive in order to see them on my desktop as in the laptop is impossible to run.

There are plenty of errors but some that caught my attention were these and similar to these that happen often:

2021-03-15 09:11:09, Info                  CSI    000008b3 Warning: HKCU violation: HKCU keys are not serviceable. Create them at runtime if you need them. Failing key is \REGISTRY\USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\Hangs\ with security descriptor  and SDDL hash 0x0000000000000000.

2021-03-15 09:11:09, Info                  CSI    000008db Warning: Overlap: Registry value collision found under key \REGISTRY\USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\Hangs\ for Disable, only one component should set this value

Tried fixing registry permissions, but having broken registry keys without being able to open regedit it's no go.

Checked file system permissions and ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES are allow on all read & execute, list folder contents and read.

I don't see this as a hardware problem because these are two different systems - desktop and laptop - and i had no issues until 2021 windows updates and security updates.

Both systems are running the 20H2 version on Win 10 Pro x64 system and the subsequent updates from the end of January/early February 2021 started the issues described.

The obvious solution may look simple which is format and install from scratch but really don't want to go through that again...but more and more seems i will have to do that.

Any and all help, tips, advice is welcomed.

Thank you very much and looking forward for your replies and support.

Best regards,

AM

==========//==========

UPDATE:

February Win 10 update KB4601319 - causes crashes described on my desktop, unistalling this KB update fixes the problem.

March Win 10 update KB5000802 - causes the crashes described on both desktop and laptop, unistalling this KB update fixes the problem.

Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867) is conflictive with the issues described above and below.

Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.746) is stable and working fine.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-04-11T03:02:55+00:00

    Everyone is having this issue, Now Windows is Pushing this update on everyone. The fantastic message "Your PC is about to be out of date" Well... if they would just fix their update that it would work correctly that would be amazing. I have spent 6 hours on the Phone with Tech Support and they suggested getting a new hard drive as the one I have must not be capable. 1TB with 1.5 TB space open SSD from Samsung. Right it's my Drive... Next day they suggested a full clean install. I completed that, Called back after updating to current with the same issue. Gave the employee ID to the phone got connected to the Advanced tech I was speaking to, Was hung up on because he didn't have an answer. 3rd day, after multiple transfers and 2 hours on hold was hung up on hearing briefly "F*** This call" So Microsoft. These are the techs you're employing? This is the Quality of the product you are selling? Your "Quality" Updates are anything but. I will Happily go back to Linux. I have disabled updates on my computer and I am still awaiting a Quality update that wouldn't cause a crash every launch.

    Peace and Chicken Grease

    Ted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-04-11T09:16:12+00:00

    Everyone is having this issue, Now Windows is Pushing this update on everyone. The fantastic message "Your PC is about to be out of date" Well... if they would just fix their update that it would work correctly that would be amazing. I have spent 6 hours on the Phone with Tech Support and they suggested getting a new hard drive as the one I have must not be capable. 1TB with 1.5 TB space open SSD from Samsung. Right it's my Drive... Next day they suggested a full clean install. I completed that, Called back after updating to current with the same issue. Gave the employee ID to the phone got connected to the Advanced tech I was speaking to, Was hung up on because he didn't have an answer. 3rd day, after multiple transfers and 2 hours on hold was hung up on hearing briefly "F*** This call" So Microsoft. These are the techs you're employing? This is the Quality of the product you are selling? Your "Quality" Updates are anything but. I will Happily go back to Linux. I have disabled updates on my computer and I am still awaiting a Quality update that wouldn't cause a crash every launch.

    Peace and Chicken Grease

    Ted.

    This! Exactly.

    Plus: Microsoft distributed messed up "updates" to the WIN 10 community since march 2021.
    No chance to avoid those by rejecting, nor was Microsoft able to turn things back to normal which should be a given here.
    Even a new clean OS installation is of no use for me.

    Now you're playing the game of '...wait for the next patch day...' next Tuesday.

    So what?

    I am really tired of that behavior: no open communication, no working solutions.

    Once stable (gaming) PC's are now on the verge to be thrown out of the window.

    All the spare time wasted by wondering 'what did I install to mess up my system?', running hardware and software checks and so on is on your bill.

    Today I received a message that the service contract with Win 10 will be changed.

    I wonder why?

    Sorry, nothing personal but I'm near the boiling point.
    Until Microsoft fixes the messed up OS, I won't invest another penny (in games).
    In fact, I want to, but couldn't use it now because of constant crashes and freezes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-02T19:33:05+00:00

    Here I had the same problem in February. i formatted the pc and deactivated all uptades. Everything was fine until today and today I saw that windows installed KB4601319 and started to close again. After removing the KB4601319 it returned to normal.

    Very disappointed with microsoft.
    
    Two months and no definition.
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-04-05T08:33:29+00:00

    I have been having the same problem with windows updates starting in around Feb also.  At first I thought there was something malicious on my PC. I've tried SFC, restoring to a previous point, etc etc.  Programs like Chrome / Opera work ok.  Steam, and Brave browser close immediately after opening, and the settings icon in my task bar (not status bar) and mail icon are gone, but there's a place holder there that I can click on.  The only thing that seems to work is to uninstall the current updates and pause for a time hoping that microsoft will offer up a fix, but that's been a couple of months now so, i'm running out of breath to hold.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-24T04:43:53+00:00

    So this sounds very much like the problems I have been having following the March 2021 Windows update. Things have been getting steadily worse until this morning when my computer was virtually unusable because of frequent lockups, unable to save work (in Ms NotePad) and unable to open file explorer!

    SUSPECTED CAUSE:  It looks like the March 2021 update (and to some extend the earlier one) did something to the way in which Windows handles failed or missing network shares, cached network locations and/or mapped drives.

    On my network I have a WIFI attached printer (Epson WF-7520) which has been sitting there doing its thing since 2013. This printer shares a Samba folder (Linux based Windows network share) on the network where it puts anything that has been scanned. I have (had) mapped that folder so it appears as a Network Drive on my local system. This has been stable since 2013 (originally on a Windows 7 pc). At some point since the beginning of this year the shared folder must have stopped working (Cause unknown - The printer and scanner has been printing and scanning fine including this morning) 

    MY FIX: I unmapped the printer share and cleared the 'quick access cache' in 'folder settings' and restarted my computer. This improved things but only after I power-cycled the printer (restoring its network share) did the file explorer issues resolve on my PC. I also restarted my PC after the printer power-cycle for the thousandth time. Just for good measure! 

    It would seem now that having mapped network drives/shares connected to a defunct network share but where the target is on or has an IP address on the local network causes my local computer to freeze for long periods of time when opening explorer even if I am not trying to access the share. The problems do not seem to happen if the target computer is powered off or if the network address does not point to a computer.

    So far since restarting the Network printer was restarted I have not had any issues with the random app crashes. I can once again use notepad et al for more than 5 minutes!.  

    I hope this helps you or someone else. I just lost a whole day of work/income and a good chunk of my sanity before I figured out what the problem was!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments