Win10 Update Error "Operation failed: Update Boot Code. Error: 0x80004005[gle=0x000000b7]"

Anonymous
2021-02-22T21:43:44+00:00

I have about 25-30 desktop PCs that I am unable to get windows update to complete on.  Some of them are running 1909, a few are running 2004, but none of them will update to 20h2.  The ones running 1909 wouldn't upgrade to 2004 when that came out either.

I have run setupdiag and here is the outcome of that:

Matching Profile found: FindAbruptDownlevelFailure - 55882B1A-DA3E-408A-9076-23B22A0472BD

SetupDiag version: 1.6.0.0

System Information:

Machine Name = BOS

Manufacturer = Dell Inc.

Model = OptiPlex 3070

HostOSArchitecture = 1033

FirmwareType = UEFI

BiosReleaseDate = 20200206000000.000000+000

BiosVendor = 1.3.1

BiosVersion = 1.3.1

HostOSVersion = 10.0.18363

HostOSBuildString = 18362.1.amd64fre.19h1_release.190318-1202

TargetOSBuildString = 10.0.19041.746 (vb_release_svc_prod1.210106-2232)

HostOSLanguageId = 

HostOSEdition = Professional

RegisteredAV = Windows Defender

FilterDrivers = FileInfo

UpgradeStartTime = 1/26/2021 12:19:14 PM

UpgradeEndTime = 1/26/2021 12:31:52 PM

UpgradeElapsedTime = 00:12:38

CV = HWGfItqyI0SWnhx1

ReportId = B466E151-44B3-4339-BBB9-581A63214664

Error: SetupDiag reports abrupt down-level failure.

Last Operation: Finalize

Error: 0x80004005 - 0x60016

LogEntry: 2021-01-26 12:31:39, Error                 SP     Operation failed: Update Boot Code. Error: 0x80004005[gle=0x000000b7]

Refer to "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes" for error information.

Last Setup Phase:

Phase Name: Finalize

Phase Started: 1/26/2021 12:31:34 PM

Phase Ended: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM

Phase Time Delta: 00:00:00

Completed Successfully? False

Last Setup Operation:

Operation Name: Update Boot Code

Operation Started: 1/26/2021 12:31:38 PM

Operation Ended: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM

Operation Time Delta: 0:00:00:00.0000000

Completed Successfully? False

I have tried clearing all the temp files, I have blown away the softwaredistribution\download folder and those didn't work.  I have used a usb drive created using the windows media creation tool and done the upgrade that way and it still fails with the same error.

Now, all of these systems have been imaged using Aomei's Backupper program.  I have found some posts that talk about getting this same error when others have imaged drives using different imaging software but no one seems to have fixed it.  They talk about the BCD not being able to be changed.  I'm not familiar  with the BCD and how all that works. 

I am trying very hard not to format and reload these machines as they are mission critical systems all at different customer sites of ours.  But we also need to have windows updates on, for now I had to turn them off because the system were repeatedly trying to install 20h2 like 3 times a day and rebooting the machines. 

I really need help with this.  

Thank you!!!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-02-22T22:31:19+00:00

    The BCD store is the "script" that boots windows. If something is interfering and keeping the upgrade from setting up new boot options, you might get such a message.

    If you have any third party type boot options or even perhaps ,the partition is too small, it could be involved.

    You might find the setuperr.log in the C:$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther folder and check it for errors related to the Boot code situation.

    If you want, you could make both the setuperr,log and setupact.log available on OneDrive or another hosting site and give us a link.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-22T22:47:05+00:00

    I am not doing anything with dual boots or anything goofy booting, these systems only have 1 install of windows that they are booting to. Very vanilla.

    here is the error log file

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/18V4pZHjUuRSCn-PuSUYu1hLOF0Z6Iqmv/view?usp=sharing

    Here is the act log file

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/18S4Nos-i2wAC4p6OegVja2TnmX4UKR0L/view?usp=sharing

    Here is a screen shot of disk management

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-22T23:37:10+00:00

    Sorry, the links weren't working when I first posted this, but now they are and you can get those files now.

    Thanks,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-22T23:47:18+00:00

    Hello Kory, how are you?

    Welcome to the Microsoft Community!

    My name is Paloma B., I'm an independent advisor, I'm here to help you in the best possible way.

    I understand that you have trouble performing updates through Windows Update.

    Thus, as Windows Update failed, I suggest you try to update Windows, using Microsoft MCT tool.

    Please download it through the link below, when you start it, check to keep your files and programs and check if there are errors in the update.

    https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445

    I await news.

    If these procedures helped you in any way, please click on "I solved my problem" and also mark as an answer, so you can help others users.

    We will always be available for whatever you need!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-02-22T23:50:03+00:00

    Paloma, as I stated in the original post, I have tried using the MCT and the upgrade fails there too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments