Win10 Update Error "Operation failed: Update Boot Code. Error: 0x80004005[gle=0x000000b7]"

Anonymous
2021-02-22T21:43:44+00:00

I have about 25-30 desktop PCs that I am unable to get windows update to complete on.  Some of them are running 1909, a few are running 2004, but none of them will update to 20h2.  The ones running 1909 wouldn't upgrade to 2004 when that came out either.

I have run setupdiag and here is the outcome of that:

Matching Profile found: FindAbruptDownlevelFailure - 55882B1A-DA3E-408A-9076-23B22A0472BD

SetupDiag version: 1.6.0.0

System Information:

Machine Name = BOS

Manufacturer = Dell Inc.

Model = OptiPlex 3070

HostOSArchitecture = 1033

FirmwareType = UEFI

BiosReleaseDate = 20200206000000.000000+000

BiosVendor = 1.3.1

BiosVersion = 1.3.1

HostOSVersion = 10.0.18363

HostOSBuildString = 18362.1.amd64fre.19h1_release.190318-1202

TargetOSBuildString = 10.0.19041.746 (vb_release_svc_prod1.210106-2232)

HostOSLanguageId = 

HostOSEdition = Professional

RegisteredAV = Windows Defender

FilterDrivers = FileInfo

UpgradeStartTime = 1/26/2021 12:19:14 PM

UpgradeEndTime = 1/26/2021 12:31:52 PM

UpgradeElapsedTime = 00:12:38

CV = HWGfItqyI0SWnhx1

ReportId = B466E151-44B3-4339-BBB9-581A63214664

Error: SetupDiag reports abrupt down-level failure.

Last Operation: Finalize

Error: 0x80004005 - 0x60016

LogEntry: 2021-01-26 12:31:39, Error                 SP     Operation failed: Update Boot Code. Error: 0x80004005[gle=0x000000b7]

Refer to "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes" for error information.

Last Setup Phase:

Phase Name: Finalize

Phase Started: 1/26/2021 12:31:34 PM

Phase Ended: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM

Phase Time Delta: 00:00:00

Completed Successfully? False

Last Setup Operation:

Operation Name: Update Boot Code

Operation Started: 1/26/2021 12:31:38 PM

Operation Ended: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM

Operation Time Delta: 0:00:00:00.0000000

Completed Successfully? False

I have tried clearing all the temp files, I have blown away the softwaredistribution\download folder and those didn't work.  I have used a usb drive created using the windows media creation tool and done the upgrade that way and it still fails with the same error.

Now, all of these systems have been imaged using Aomei's Backupper program.  I have found some posts that talk about getting this same error when others have imaged drives using different imaging software but no one seems to have fixed it.  They talk about the BCD not being able to be changed.  I'm not familiar  with the BCD and how all that works. 

I am trying very hard not to format and reload these machines as they are mission critical systems all at different customer sites of ours.  But we also need to have windows updates on, for now I had to turn them off because the system were repeatedly trying to install 20h2 like 3 times a day and rebooting the machines. 

I really need help with this.  

Thank you!!!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-02-24T16:36:57+00:00

    The only thing I can find is the link below. I cannot know if it would help your situation.

    You have searched the registry for the entry?

    You do or do not have the configuration utility for SQL? Perhaps think about reinstalling it to look around some.

    You are using IIS and is that related to or necessary for SQL?

    Which SQL forum are you checking?

    Configure Windows Service Accounts and Permissions - SQL Server | Microsoft Docs

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-24T15:47:46+00:00

    Its not like its some super secret SQL user, its just a windows service user. Do you know how to just delete a windows service user/account?

    I have already deleted the folder for the user under c:\windows\servicesprofiles for this user. I deleted that before I tried the last upgrade even. So I'm not sure what the upgrade is seeing.

    I can't even seem to find a way to show me a list of all the service accounts in windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-24T00:24:12+00:00

    I won't know how to delete a user I don't have. Is it located in the folder indicated? Can you right click it and remove the profile?

    Does the Microsoft SQL have an uninstall utility that removes all traces?

    You might also scan the registry to see if it shows up there..

    Someone in one of the SQL forums might know?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-23T19:40:38+00:00

    So I can't figure out how to delete that user. Its a service account and doesn't show up in local users/groups. Any idea how to delete that user??

    I'm doing this all on a test setup so I don't care if I screw something up. I can just reimage the drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-02-23T19:21:53+00:00

    There are several errors concerning the BCD store, but that is after the Migration fails. If you want to check your BCD store, we can do that.

    Not much changed in this log.. If you have uninstalled SQL then you may be able to remove the user..

    Info MIG Mig::CPlatform::CreateProfileForUser: Called for user (NULL)(NULL) with ProfileSuffix: MSSQL$FPOSSQL, ProfilePath: C:\windows\ServiceProfiles\MSSQL$FPOSSQL

    Warning SP Exception trying to create a profile for user. Will try again later.:

    Error SP CreateProfileForUser succeeded but the user has no profile. Exiting.

    Warning SP Exception trying to create a profile for user. Will try again later.: Win32Exception: CreateProfileForUser is only supported for non-linked profiles with a specific SID.: The request is not supported

    Error SP CreateProfileForUser succeeded but the user has no profile. Exiting.

    Info Entering MigCloseCurrentStore method

    Error SP pSPExecuteApply: Migration phase caught exception: Win32Exception: CreateProfileForUser succeeded but the user has no profile: An internal error occurred.

    Info SP SPExecuteFirstBootApply: End run. Result: 0x00000004

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments