Win10 Update Error "Operation failed: Update Boot Code. Error: 0x80004005[gle=0x000000b7]"

Anonymous
2021-02-22T21:43:44+00:00

I have about 25-30 desktop PCs that I am unable to get windows update to complete on.  Some of them are running 1909, a few are running 2004, but none of them will update to 20h2.  The ones running 1909 wouldn't upgrade to 2004 when that came out either.

I have run setupdiag and here is the outcome of that:

Matching Profile found: FindAbruptDownlevelFailure - 55882B1A-DA3E-408A-9076-23B22A0472BD

SetupDiag version: 1.6.0.0

System Information:

Machine Name = BOS

Manufacturer = Dell Inc.

Model = OptiPlex 3070

HostOSArchitecture = 1033

FirmwareType = UEFI

BiosReleaseDate = 20200206000000.000000+000

BiosVendor = 1.3.1

BiosVersion = 1.3.1

HostOSVersion = 10.0.18363

HostOSBuildString = 18362.1.amd64fre.19h1_release.190318-1202

TargetOSBuildString = 10.0.19041.746 (vb_release_svc_prod1.210106-2232)

HostOSLanguageId = 

HostOSEdition = Professional

RegisteredAV = Windows Defender

FilterDrivers = FileInfo

UpgradeStartTime = 1/26/2021 12:19:14 PM

UpgradeEndTime = 1/26/2021 12:31:52 PM

UpgradeElapsedTime = 00:12:38

CV = HWGfItqyI0SWnhx1

ReportId = B466E151-44B3-4339-BBB9-581A63214664

Error: SetupDiag reports abrupt down-level failure.

Last Operation: Finalize

Error: 0x80004005 - 0x60016

LogEntry: 2021-01-26 12:31:39, Error                 SP     Operation failed: Update Boot Code. Error: 0x80004005[gle=0x000000b7]

Refer to "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes" for error information.

Last Setup Phase:

Phase Name: Finalize

Phase Started: 1/26/2021 12:31:34 PM

Phase Ended: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM

Phase Time Delta: 00:00:00

Completed Successfully? False

Last Setup Operation:

Operation Name: Update Boot Code

Operation Started: 1/26/2021 12:31:38 PM

Operation Ended: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM

Operation Time Delta: 0:00:00:00.0000000

Completed Successfully? False

I have tried clearing all the temp files, I have blown away the softwaredistribution\download folder and those didn't work.  I have used a usb drive created using the windows media creation tool and done the upgrade that way and it still fails with the same error.

Now, all of these systems have been imaged using Aomei's Backupper program.  I have found some posts that talk about getting this same error when others have imaged drives using different imaging software but no one seems to have fixed it.  They talk about the BCD not being able to be changed.  I'm not familiar  with the BCD and how all that works. 

I am trying very hard not to format and reload these machines as they are mission critical systems all at different customer sites of ours.  But we also need to have windows updates on, for now I had to turn them off because the system were repeatedly trying to install 20h2 like 3 times a day and rebooting the machines. 

I really need help with this.  

Thank you!!!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-24T17:10:55+00:00

    @saltgrass 

    Any thoughts on this??  I'm stuck on this one.

    Thanks!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-22T14:53:30+00:00

    Here is the BCD info:

    C:\Users\pos>bcdedit /enum all

    Firmware Boot Manager


    identifier              {fwbootmgr}

    displayorder            {bootmgr}

                            {5abdaa7a-cbe1-11e3-a38f-8a37f6cf06ba}

                            {5abdaa78-cbe1-11e3-a38f-8a37f6cf06ba}

                            {5abdaa7b-cbe1-11e3-a38f-8a37f6cf06ba}

    timeout                 2

    Windows Boot Manager


    identifier              {bootmgr}

    device                  partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1

    path                    \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

    description             Windows Boot Manager

    locale                  en-US

    inherit                 {globalsettings}

    integrityservices       Enable

    default                 {current}

    resumeobject            {f4b24a8e-40cf-4031-9411-ec638b535347}

    displayorder            {current}

    toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}

    timeout                 30

    Firmware Application (101fffff)


    identifier              {5abdaa78-cbe1-11e3-a38f-8a37f6cf06ba}

    path                    \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

    description             Windows Boot Manager

    Firmware Application (101fffff)


    identifier              {5abdaa7a-cbe1-11e3-a38f-8a37f6cf06ba}

    path                    \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

    description             Windows Boot Manager

    Firmware Application (101fffff)


    identifier              {5abdaa7b-cbe1-11e3-a38f-8a37f6cf06ba}

    device                  partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1

    path                    \EFI\Boot\BootX64.efi

    description             UEFI: WDC WDS500G2B0C-00PXH0

    Windows Boot Loader


    identifier              {current}

    device                  partition=C:

    path                    \windows\system32\winload.efi

    description             AOMEI Windows Boot

    inherit                 {bootloadersettings}

    osdevice                partition=C:

    systemroot              \windows

    resumeobject            {f4b24a8e-40cf-4031-9411-ec638b535347}

    nx                      OptIn

    Windows Boot Loader


    identifier              {5abdaa7e-cbe1-11e3-a38f-8a37f6cf06ba}

    device                  unknown

    path                    \Windows\system32\winload.efi

    description             Windows 8.1

    locale                  en-US

    inherit                 {bootloadersettings}

    recoverysequence        {5abdaa7f-cbe1-11e3-a38f-8a37f6cf06ba}

    integrityservices       Enable

    recoveryenabled         Yes

    isolatedcontext         Yes

    allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075

    osdevice                unknown

    systemroot              \Windows

    resumeobject            {5abdaa7d-cbe1-11e3-a38f-8a37f6cf06ba}

    nx                      OptIn

    bootmenupolicy          Standard

    Windows Boot Loader


    identifier              {5abdaa7f-cbe1-11e3-a38f-8a37f6cf06ba}

    device                  ramdisk=[unknown]\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim,{5abdaa80-cbe1-11e3-a38f-8a37f6cf06ba}

    path                    \windows\system32\winload.efi

    description             Windows Recovery Environment

    locale                  en-US

    inherit                 {bootloadersettings}

    displaymessage          Recovery

    displaymessageoverride  Recovery

    osdevice                ramdisk=[unknown]\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim,{5abdaa80-cbe1-11e3-a38f-8a37f6cf06ba}

    systemroot              \windows

    nx                      OptIn

    bootmenupolicy          Standard

    winpe                   Yes

    Resume from Hibernate


    identifier              {5abdaa7d-cbe1-11e3-a38f-8a37f6cf06ba}

    device                  unknown

    path                    \Windows\system32\winresume.efi

    description             Windows Resume Application

    locale                  en-US

    inherit                 {resumeloadersettings}

    recoverysequence        {5abdaa7f-cbe1-11e3-a38f-8a37f6cf06ba}

    recoveryenabled         Yes

    isolatedcontext         Yes

    allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075

    filedevice              unknown

    filepath                \hiberfil.sys

    bootmenupolicy          Standard

    debugoptionenabled      No

    Resume from Hibernate


    identifier              {f4b24a8e-40cf-4031-9411-ec638b535347}

    Windows Memory Tester


    identifier              {memdiag}

    device                  unknown

    path                    \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\memtest.efi

    description             Windows Memory Diagnostic

    locale                  en-US

    inherit                 {globalsettings}

    badmemoryaccess         Yes

    EMS Settings


    identifier              {emssettings}

    bootems                 No

    Debugger Settings


    identifier              {dbgsettings}

    debugtype               Serial

    debugport               1

    baudrate                115200

    RAM Defects


    identifier              {badmemory}

    Global Settings


    identifier              {globalsettings}

    inherit                 {dbgsettings}

                            {emssettings}

                            {badmemory}

    Boot Loader Settings


    identifier              {bootloadersettings}

    inherit                 {globalsettings}

                            {hypervisorsettings}

    Hypervisor Settings


    identifier              {hypervisorsettings}

    hypervisordebugtype     Serial

    hypervisordebugport     1

    hypervisorbaudrate      115200

    Resume Loader Settings


    identifier              {resumeloadersettings}

    inherit                 {globalsettings}

    Device options


    identifier              {5abdaa80-cbe1-11e3-a38f-8a37f6cf06ba}

    description             Windows Recovery

    ramdisksdidevice        unknown

    ramdisksdipath          \Recovery\WindowsRE\boot.sdi

    When I do the reagent /info this is what I get

    C:\Users\pos>reagentc /info

    Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration

    Information:

        Windows RE status:         Disabled

        Windows RE location:

        Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: b355e397-0c39-11ea-acb4-e454e88834f1

        Recovery image location:

        Recovery image index:      0

        Custom image location:

        Custom image index:        0

    REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

    When I try to do reagent /enable this is what I get.

    C:\Users\pos>reagentc /enable

    REAGENTC.EXE: The Windows RE image was not found.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-03-19T17:09:07+00:00

    It looks like I will need the BCD store listing, full listing and the results of the command below.  If the command listing shows as Disabled, try running the next two command and then check again.

    reagentc /info

    reagentc /disable

    reagentd /enable

    You can port the bcd listing to a text file and make that available, if you want..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-19T16:08:39+00:00

    I am looking at the log but it may take me a while.  Right now, the only thing I notice is the system is having problems with the Recovery Tools (winre.wim) .  This will normally get worked out during the install but it will take me some time to see if this is THE problem..

    Glad you got the other systems working..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-19T14:05:12+00:00

    @saltgrass

    First I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU!!  The BCD objects were mostly the issues with most of my machines.  When they would fail to install 20h2 I would look at the logs and find the bcd object that was referenced and delete it, then the update would install fine.  It has been a huge help not having to format and reload all these systems.  So thank you again!!!!

    However, I have one troublesome machine that actually is trying to go from 1909 to 2004 and is failing and I can't figure out why.

    Here are the logs.

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/19EWkMqFBAlyD7piyEHEwl7UnZsbmI5aS/view?usp=sharing

    If you could take a look and let me know what you see I would really appreciate it!!!

    Thanks,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments