Win10 Update Error "Operation failed: Update Boot Code. Error: 0x80004005[gle=0x000000b7]"

Anonymous
2021-02-22T21:43:44+00:00

I have about 25-30 desktop PCs that I am unable to get windows update to complete on.  Some of them are running 1909, a few are running 2004, but none of them will update to 20h2.  The ones running 1909 wouldn't upgrade to 2004 when that came out either.

I have run setupdiag and here is the outcome of that:

Matching Profile found: FindAbruptDownlevelFailure - 55882B1A-DA3E-408A-9076-23B22A0472BD

SetupDiag version: 1.6.0.0

System Information:

Machine Name = BOS

Manufacturer = Dell Inc.

Model = OptiPlex 3070

HostOSArchitecture = 1033

FirmwareType = UEFI

BiosReleaseDate = 20200206000000.000000+000

BiosVendor = 1.3.1

BiosVersion = 1.3.1

HostOSVersion = 10.0.18363

HostOSBuildString = 18362.1.amd64fre.19h1_release.190318-1202

TargetOSBuildString = 10.0.19041.746 (vb_release_svc_prod1.210106-2232)

HostOSLanguageId = 

HostOSEdition = Professional

RegisteredAV = Windows Defender

FilterDrivers = FileInfo

UpgradeStartTime = 1/26/2021 12:19:14 PM

UpgradeEndTime = 1/26/2021 12:31:52 PM

UpgradeElapsedTime = 00:12:38

CV = HWGfItqyI0SWnhx1

ReportId = B466E151-44B3-4339-BBB9-581A63214664

Error: SetupDiag reports abrupt down-level failure.

Last Operation: Finalize

Error: 0x80004005 - 0x60016

LogEntry: 2021-01-26 12:31:39, Error                 SP     Operation failed: Update Boot Code. Error: 0x80004005[gle=0x000000b7]

Refer to "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes" for error information.

Last Setup Phase:

Phase Name: Finalize

Phase Started: 1/26/2021 12:31:34 PM

Phase Ended: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM

Phase Time Delta: 00:00:00

Completed Successfully? False

Last Setup Operation:

Operation Name: Update Boot Code

Operation Started: 1/26/2021 12:31:38 PM

Operation Ended: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM

Operation Time Delta: 0:00:00:00.0000000

Completed Successfully? False

I have tried clearing all the temp files, I have blown away the softwaredistribution\download folder and those didn't work.  I have used a usb drive created using the windows media creation tool and done the upgrade that way and it still fails with the same error.

Now, all of these systems have been imaged using Aomei's Backupper program.  I have found some posts that talk about getting this same error when others have imaged drives using different imaging software but no one seems to have fixed it.  They talk about the BCD not being able to be changed.  I'm not familiar  with the BCD and how all that works. 

I am trying very hard not to format and reload these machines as they are mission critical systems all at different customer sites of ours.  But we also need to have windows updates on, for now I had to turn them off because the system were repeatedly trying to install 20h2 like 3 times a day and rebooting the machines. 

I really need help with this.  

Thank you!!!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-14T13:45:02+00:00

    So did the upgrade work this time??

    Stewart05, thanks for the follow up. Yes this worked. I am now upgraded to 20H2.

    Thank you Kory L, Saltgrass and Stewart05 for your expertise and assistance to resolve this matter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-13T16:44:27+00:00

    Ooops forgot the " around the string". That worked now to try and update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-13T16:40:47+00:00

    Hi Stewart05,

    Thank you for your reply. 

    I am just a struggling Windows 10 pro user and not sure what my next step should be.

    This is what returns with the suggested action:

    PS C:\Windows\system32> bcdedit /delete {49c35300-8e5b-11ea-8716-1c1bb5a52d04}

    The delete command specified is not valid.

    Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.

    The parameter is incorrect.

    Then

    bcedit : The term 'bcedit' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.

    Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

    At line:1 char:1

    • bcedit /?
    • 
      

        + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (bcedit:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

    Should I be approaching this from a different directory or am I missing proper syntax references for this? It's odd that we could list using bcedit /enum.

    Let me know if you have a suggestion.

    Thanks for your help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-13T15:08:10+00:00

    Hi Saltgrass,

    I have been following this thread and have a similar issue not being able to upgrade from Windows 10 pro version 1909 to 20H2.

    I have gone through most of your steps and after running bcedit /enum all I get the following:

    Firmware Boot Manager


    identifier {fwbootmgr}

    displayorder {d2dff0b3-92d2-11ea-8718-806e6f6e6963}

                            {3f421210-0ca1-11eb-880a-806e6f6e6963}

                            {c36bc6b2-8deb-11ea-8717-806e6f6e6963}

                            {c36bc6b3-8deb-11ea-8717-806e6f6e6963}

    timeout 0

    Windows Boot Manager


    identifier {bootmgr}

    device unknown

    path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

    description Windows Boot Manager

    locale en-us

    inherit {globalsettings}

    default {current}

    resumeobject {49c35300-8e5b-11ea-8716-1c1bb5a52d04}

    displayorder {current}

    toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}

    timeout 30

    Firmware Application (101fffff)


    identifier {3f421210-0ca1-11eb-880a-806e6f6e6963}

    description Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk

    Firmware Application (101fffff)


    identifier {c36bc6b2-8deb-11ea-8717-806e6f6e6963}

    description EFI USB Device

    Firmware Application (101fffff)


    identifier {c36bc6b3-8deb-11ea-8717-806e6f6e6963}

    description EFI DVD/CDROM

    Firmware Application (101fffff)


    identifier {d2dff0b3-92d2-11ea-8718-806e6f6e6963}

    device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2

    path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

    description Windows Boot Manager

    Windows Boot Loader


    identifier {current}

    device partition=C:

    path \Windows\system32\winload.efi

    description Windows 10

    locale en-us

    inherit {bootloadersettings}

    isolatedcontext Yes

    allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075

    osdevice partition=C:

    systemroot \Windows

    resumeobject {49c35300-8e5b-11ea-8716-1c1bb5a52d04}

    nx OptIn

    bootmenupolicy Standard

    Resume from Hibernate


    identifier {49c35300-8e5b-11ea-8716-1c1bb5a52d04}

    Windows Memory Tester


    identifier {memdiag}

    device unknown

    path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\memtest.efi

    description Windows Memory Diagnostic

    locale en-us

    inherit {globalsettings}

    badmemoryaccess Yes

    EMS Settings


    identifier {emssettings}

    bootems No

    Debugger Settings


    identifier {dbgsettings}

    debugtype Local

    RAM Defects


    identifier {badmemory}

    Global Settings


    identifier {globalsettings}

    inherit {dbgsettings}

                            {emssettings}

                            {badmemory}

    Boot Loader Settings


    identifier {bootloadersettings}

    inherit {globalsettings}

                            {hypervisorsettings}

    Hypervisor Settings


    identifier {hypervisorsettings}

    hypervisordebugtype Serial

    hypervisordebugport 1

    hypervisorbaudrate 115200

    Resume Loader Settings


    identifier {resumeloadersettings}

    inherit {globalsettings}

    Is this reference in red causing the problem?

    Please advise.

    Thanks for your help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-24T20:10:16+00:00

    There is a command you might try running on it, perhaps it would correct or add to some of the entries.

    It looks to me like the BCD store has been in place for a while and not updated by removing prior options.

    Try running the command but make sure you know where the actual Win 10 install is.  I do not use Aomei so you may want to check with them..

    Bootrec /rebuildbcd

    See if there is anything on the link you might be able to use.  The command will not offer an OS option if it is already in the BCD Store..

    I assume you have bootable install media or WinPE available.

    Use Bootrec.exe in the Windows RE to troubleshoot startup issues (microsoft.com)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments