Win10 Update Error "Operation failed: Update Boot Code. Error: 0x80004005[gle=0x000000b7]"

Anonymous
2021-02-22T21:43:44+00:00

I have about 25-30 desktop PCs that I am unable to get windows update to complete on.  Some of them are running 1909, a few are running 2004, but none of them will update to 20h2.  The ones running 1909 wouldn't upgrade to 2004 when that came out either.

I have run setupdiag and here is the outcome of that:

Matching Profile found: FindAbruptDownlevelFailure - 55882B1A-DA3E-408A-9076-23B22A0472BD

SetupDiag version: 1.6.0.0

System Information:

Machine Name = BOS

Manufacturer = Dell Inc.

Model = OptiPlex 3070

HostOSArchitecture = 1033

FirmwareType = UEFI

BiosReleaseDate = 20200206000000.000000+000

BiosVendor = 1.3.1

BiosVersion = 1.3.1

HostOSVersion = 10.0.18363

HostOSBuildString = 18362.1.amd64fre.19h1_release.190318-1202

TargetOSBuildString = 10.0.19041.746 (vb_release_svc_prod1.210106-2232)

HostOSLanguageId = 

HostOSEdition = Professional

RegisteredAV = Windows Defender

FilterDrivers = FileInfo

UpgradeStartTime = 1/26/2021 12:19:14 PM

UpgradeEndTime = 1/26/2021 12:31:52 PM

UpgradeElapsedTime = 00:12:38

CV = HWGfItqyI0SWnhx1

ReportId = B466E151-44B3-4339-BBB9-581A63214664

Error: SetupDiag reports abrupt down-level failure.

Last Operation: Finalize

Error: 0x80004005 - 0x60016

LogEntry: 2021-01-26 12:31:39, Error                 SP     Operation failed: Update Boot Code. Error: 0x80004005[gle=0x000000b7]

Refer to "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes" for error information.

Last Setup Phase:

Phase Name: Finalize

Phase Started: 1/26/2021 12:31:34 PM

Phase Ended: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM

Phase Time Delta: 00:00:00

Completed Successfully? False

Last Setup Operation:

Operation Name: Update Boot Code

Operation Started: 1/26/2021 12:31:38 PM

Operation Ended: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM

Operation Time Delta: 0:00:00:00.0000000

Completed Successfully? False

I have tried clearing all the temp files, I have blown away the softwaredistribution\download folder and those didn't work.  I have used a usb drive created using the windows media creation tool and done the upgrade that way and it still fails with the same error.

Now, all of these systems have been imaged using Aomei's Backupper program.  I have found some posts that talk about getting this same error when others have imaged drives using different imaging software but no one seems to have fixed it.  They talk about the BCD not being able to be changed.  I'm not familiar  with the BCD and how all that works. 

I am trying very hard not to format and reload these machines as they are mission critical systems all at different customer sites of ours.  But we also need to have windows updates on, for now I had to turn them off because the system were repeatedly trying to install 20h2 like 3 times a day and rebooting the machines. 

I really need help with this.  

Thank you!!!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-02T16:39:13+00:00

    Yes that is the point of sale software that is loaded on these computers. That specific file I think is to install a specific feature for the POS software. I could probably delete that file and try the upgrade again as I don't think the file is needed anymore.

    And I don't know anything about the images for the install. I'm just letting windows update do everything.

    Should I delete the windows\softwaredistribution\download folder and try again? I know I've done that before and it didn't help. But i can try again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-02T16:25:20+00:00

    The upgrade attempt only lasts about 12 minutes so something is happening fairly soon. I don't see anything which indicates what failed.

    What I pointed out before, do you know what that is? The listing used to setup up the upgrade is missing two items the other log has..

    "/MigNeo" "Disable" It appears this is different in the Predownload listing and Install listing.

    Since this seems to be related to the missing attributes comments, could that be messing something up.

    The image you are using to install only has index 3 for Win 10. Is the Install looking for index 6?

    Error CONX aeinv: ERROR,_AttributesFromBOE,2079,AeComputeProgramIdentityHash failed [80070057]

    Info CONX aeinv: TRACE,Far::RetrieveSpecifiedFileAttributes,131,PfnRetrieveGroupAttributes for index 6 failed [80070057]

    Error CONX aeinv: ERROR,File::SaveFileToCache,1167,File missing required attribute! GetProgramId: GetFilePath:c:\fpos\install\futureposmonetra.exe CommandLine:"C:$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\SetupHost.Exe" /Install /Package /Priority Normal /Quiet /ReportId 84E47C32-9F3D-4878-A3DB-CCF543460C65.1 /FlightData "RS:8B9D" "/CancelId" "C-884260f8-e564-4e30-acec-b8774f313a82" "/PauseId" "P-884260f8-e564-4e30-acec-b8774f313a82" "/CorrelationVector" "2dmXVVOA1EqYeVjT.1.2.232.1.3.117" "/EnterpriseAttribution" "/ActionListFile" "C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\5f75199b186f34b7997e03fa2c657ed1\ActionList.xml" "/MigNeo" "Disable"

    Info CONX aeinv: TRACE,File::ProvideInventory,184,File missing required attribute! GetFilePathHash:futureposmonetra|69621a0e2e5bf009 GetProgramId: GetFilePath:c:\fpos\install\futureposmonetra.exe

    Info CONX aeinv: TRACE,GetAppInventory,439,GetAppInventory elapsed time: 4235 (ticks)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-03-02T15:24:17+00:00

    Ok, so here is one that is failing without the BCD errors

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/18eeE_ixa9YNqZAjpLqiAfwBT2Kcc1KPP/view?usp=sharing

    Here is the setupdiag, its not finding anything though.

    SetupDiag was unable to match to any known failure signatures.

    System Information:

    Machine Name = BOS
    
    Manufacturer = Dell Inc.
    
    Model = OptiPlex 3070
    
    HostOSArchitecture = 1033
    
    FirmwareType = UEFI
    
    BiosReleaseDate = 20200206000000.000000+000
    
    BiosVendor = 1.3.1
    
    BiosVersion = 1.3.1
    
    HostOSVersion = 10.0.18363
    
    HostOSBuildString = 18362.1.amd64fre.19h1\_release.190318-1202
    
    TargetOSBuildString = 10.0.19041.804 (vb\_release\_svc\_prod1.210128-1115)
    
    HostOSLanguageId = 
    
    HostOSEdition = Professional
    
    RegisteredAV = Windows Defender
    
    FilterDrivers = FileInfo
    
    UpgradeStartTime = 3/2/2021 5:30:01 AM
    
    UpgradeEndTime = 3/2/2021 5:42:16 AM
    
    UpgradeElapsedTime = 00:12:15
    
    CV = 2dmXVVOA1EqYeVjT
    
    ReportId = 84E47C32-9F3D-4878-A3DB-CCF543460C65
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-02T00:15:45+00:00

    I usually can't pick problems out from a short log but I don't remember seeing the entry below in other logs.

    2021-02-28 04:59:25, Error CONX aeinv: ERROR,File::SaveFileToCache,1167,File missing required attribute! GetProgramId: GetFilePath:c:\fpos\install\futureposmonetra.exe

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-01T23:12:17+00:00

    I will keep in mind the SQL was not responsible. The setupdiag report might help see what is happening with the others. If you want to try some others, I will be here. Hopefully, there would not be more than a couple of reasons they were failing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments