Win10 Update Error "Operation failed: Update Boot Code. Error: 0x80004005[gle=0x000000b7]"

Anonymous
2021-02-22T21:43:44+00:00

I have about 25-30 desktop PCs that I am unable to get windows update to complete on.  Some of them are running 1909, a few are running 2004, but none of them will update to 20h2.  The ones running 1909 wouldn't upgrade to 2004 when that came out either.

I have run setupdiag and here is the outcome of that:

Matching Profile found: FindAbruptDownlevelFailure - 55882B1A-DA3E-408A-9076-23B22A0472BD

SetupDiag version: 1.6.0.0

System Information:

Machine Name = BOS

Manufacturer = Dell Inc.

Model = OptiPlex 3070

HostOSArchitecture = 1033

FirmwareType = UEFI

BiosReleaseDate = 20200206000000.000000+000

BiosVendor = 1.3.1

BiosVersion = 1.3.1

HostOSVersion = 10.0.18363

HostOSBuildString = 18362.1.amd64fre.19h1_release.190318-1202

TargetOSBuildString = 10.0.19041.746 (vb_release_svc_prod1.210106-2232)

HostOSLanguageId = 

HostOSEdition = Professional

RegisteredAV = Windows Defender

FilterDrivers = FileInfo

UpgradeStartTime = 1/26/2021 12:19:14 PM

UpgradeEndTime = 1/26/2021 12:31:52 PM

UpgradeElapsedTime = 00:12:38

CV = HWGfItqyI0SWnhx1

ReportId = B466E151-44B3-4339-BBB9-581A63214664

Error: SetupDiag reports abrupt down-level failure.

Last Operation: Finalize

Error: 0x80004005 - 0x60016

LogEntry: 2021-01-26 12:31:39, Error                 SP     Operation failed: Update Boot Code. Error: 0x80004005[gle=0x000000b7]

Refer to "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes" for error information.

Last Setup Phase:

Phase Name: Finalize

Phase Started: 1/26/2021 12:31:34 PM

Phase Ended: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM

Phase Time Delta: 00:00:00

Completed Successfully? False

Last Setup Operation:

Operation Name: Update Boot Code

Operation Started: 1/26/2021 12:31:38 PM

Operation Ended: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM

Operation Time Delta: 0:00:00:00.0000000

Completed Successfully? False

I have tried clearing all the temp files, I have blown away the softwaredistribution\download folder and those didn't work.  I have used a usb drive created using the windows media creation tool and done the upgrade that way and it still fails with the same error.

Now, all of these systems have been imaged using Aomei's Backupper program.  I have found some posts that talk about getting this same error when others have imaged drives using different imaging software but no one seems to have fixed it.  They talk about the BCD not being able to be changed.  I'm not familiar  with the BCD and how all that works. 

I am trying very hard not to format and reload these machines as they are mission critical systems all at different customer sites of ours.  But we also need to have windows updates on, for now I had to turn them off because the system were repeatedly trying to install 20h2 like 3 times a day and rebooting the machines. 

I really need help with this.  

Thank you!!!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-01T20:00:57+00:00

    Ok, I have more information. So of my 20 or so computers failing to upgrade to 20h2 I found one that had all the same FPOSSQL and IIS user/profile errors and it also had the same BCD errors as the one I was working on with you before.

    I found the GUID of the BCD object that it was failing on and deleted it using the bcdedit /delete and then ran the 20h2 upgrade and it worked and 20h2 is now installed and I did NOT uninstall anything to do with SQL. So those user and profile errors were not causing the upgrade to fail.

    But as I posted in the last error log above, I have more than one of these computers that are not getting the BCD errors so I don't know whats causing those to fail.

    Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-25T16:30:46+00:00

    Ok, so I totally removed everything to do with SQL and tried the upgrade and it still failed!! But I don't see those same errors about the SQL user anymore, but I also am not really sure what I'm looking at, so here are the latest logs if you can look at them and let me know whats failing now I would greatly appreciate it.

    Thanks,

    setuperr

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/18WMYiP2WqtGYaml5m_jo1vjYWnZGAhr-/view?usp=sharing

    setupact

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/18ZW5IFxpidk-FPwHnZeUNfvr5orjhul2/view?usp=sharing

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-24T16:36:57+00:00

    The only thing I can find is the link below. I cannot know if it would help your situation.

    You have searched the registry for the entry?

    You do or do not have the configuration utility for SQL? Perhaps think about reinstalling it to look around some.

    You are using IIS and is that related to or necessary for SQL?

    Which SQL forum are you checking?

    Configure Windows Service Accounts and Permissions - SQL Server | Microsoft Docs

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-24T15:47:46+00:00

    Its not like its some super secret SQL user, its just a windows service user. Do you know how to just delete a windows service user/account?

    I have already deleted the folder for the user under c:\windows\servicesprofiles for this user. I deleted that before I tried the last upgrade even. So I'm not sure what the upgrade is seeing.

    I can't even seem to find a way to show me a list of all the service accounts in windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments