Windows Defender Offline scan won't work

Anonymous
2021-03-08T22:48:02+00:00

Hi, I've been having a lot of trouble trying to get Windows Defender to run an offline scan. It restarts the computer and I see the blue screen that says Windows Defender but it never runs the scan and the computer starts up after that. When I checked the Event Viewer it said nothing about Defender finishing the scan and just a lot of events that say that Windows Defender configuration was changed and if this was unexpected that it might be malware. Because of this I reset the laptop and that didn't fix the issue. I ran sfc /scannow plus dism and that didn't fix the issue. I then started running every scan I could using programs like Malwarebytes, rkill, Microsoft malicious software remover tool(I think that's what it's called) and a usb bootable scanner from Kaspersky. None of them found anything that was bad. I read online that if I did a Windows 10 repair upgrade then this fixes the problem most of the time, so that's what I did. After all of this I still can't get Windows Defender offline scan to work. Does anyone know what the issue is?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-11T20:04:20+00:00

    Thank you for all your suggestions!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-11T19:51:08+00:00

    I understand, sorry for not being able to solve your problem so far, but don't worry, this is an open forum and another specialist with more ideas can try to help you, bye friend.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-03-11T19:42:07+00:00

    Here is the msswrapper log like the one you posted.

    ERROR 2021/03/10 19:54:22:153 TID: PID:

    Unable to open the offline HKLM SYSTEM hive with 0x80070020

    ERROR 2021/03/10 19:54:22:153 TID: PID:

    Unable to open the target OS HKLM\System hive with 0x80070020

    There seems to be some errors in the msswrapper log.

    Here is the mplog

    (Log Removed for privacy)

    Product Version:

    Service Version:

    Engine Version: 0.0.0.0

    AS Signature Version: 0.0.0.0

    AV Signature Version: 0.0.0.0

    ************************************************************

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-11T19:26:26+00:00

    That's what I thought too. Once I installed Windows 10 over again using the media creation tool (i think it's called that) I figured that would fix the issue but it hasn't. Also, I've run the sfc /scannow and the DISM commands many times and that hasn't fixed the issue either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-11T11:05:01+00:00

    It is really very unusual after installing the system, corrupted files already appear, but from what you have told me so far, you have only run the SFC, it finds corrupted files and corrects them, but try to do it in a more complete way with other commands as well, I await your response :

    -Check the integrity of the System.

    Right click on the start, Windows PowerShell (Admin) place the following command:

    Sfc / ScanNow

    If not, do these two more commands, one at a time:

    DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth

    DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments