Windows Defender Offline scan won't work

Anonymous
2021-03-08T22:48:02+00:00

Hi, I've been having a lot of trouble trying to get Windows Defender to run an offline scan. It restarts the computer and I see the blue screen that says Windows Defender but it never runs the scan and the computer starts up after that. When I checked the Event Viewer it said nothing about Defender finishing the scan and just a lot of events that say that Windows Defender configuration was changed and if this was unexpected that it might be malware. Because of this I reset the laptop and that didn't fix the issue. I ran sfc /scannow plus dism and that didn't fix the issue. I then started running every scan I could using programs like Malwarebytes, rkill, Microsoft malicious software remover tool(I think that's what it's called) and a usb bootable scanner from Kaspersky. None of them found anything that was bad. I read online that if I did a Windows 10 repair upgrade then this fixes the problem most of the time, so that's what I did. After all of this I still can't get Windows Defender offline scan to work. Does anyone know what the issue is?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-11T11:05:01+00:00

    It is really very unusual after installing the system, corrupted files already appear, but from what you have told me so far, you have only run the SFC, it finds corrupted files and corrects them, but try to do it in a more complete way with other commands as well, I await your response :

    -Check the integrity of the System.

    Right click on the start, Windows PowerShell (Admin) place the following command:

    Sfc / ScanNow

    If not, do these two more commands, one at a time:

    DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth

    DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-09T22:45:52+00:00

    What is your version & OS Build at "START, Settings,, System, About"...

    Image

    Well, mine does get past that small "Windows Defender Offline" screen & to a larger DOS screen where the offline scan does complete (apparently with virus detected) in about 6 minutes. Pictures of the screens are shown in Option 3 here...

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/42305-how-run-microsoft-defender-offline-scan-windows-10-a.html

    How to Run a Microsoft Defender Offline Scan in Windows 10

    Afterward, I get this in Event Viewer...

    Image

    Event ID 2030 announced the offline scan was configured to run. It did run, but nothing above that 2030 mentions it again. There is no report such as was seen in that DOS screen. But there are four 5007's -- so that appears to be normal.

    And there was a log where Brink said: C:\Windows\Microsoft Antimalware\Support. If you've got one, scroll to the date of your run, & see whether there is an error. I did have one error, but apparently not bad enough to stop it.

    Thanks for the reply! My version is 20H2 and build is 19042.804.

    My scan never gets to the DOS like screen. It ends before it gets to that point and the computer then restarts. I get the event saying the scan started and then four 5007 IDs. The last thing the log says is that the service was stopped (exit code 0x0). There is a spot that says "service stop requested (service error: 0x0)" And a lot of other stuff that I'm not sure about? One thing I've noticed before when checking this log is that the time of the log seems wrong? It says it was created an hour in the future? And in the log it says the current time is 3/10/21 not 3/9/21 which is today when I am writing this. Is that normal? Also in the log titled mssswrapper it says that the offline scan completed with 0x80501002. Is that good or bad?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-03-09T13:01:29+00:00

    Yes, there are several reports that can be pointed out by the event log, as you can check here:

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/securi...

    Try offline checking to be more comfortable with commands, open the task manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc)> file> run new task> check Create this task with administrator privileges> type: powershell> open and place the following command:

    Start-MpWDOScan

    run the command and restart the PC.

    I await your reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-08T23:53:36+00:00

    Hi, thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. I did try creating a new administrator user account and it didn't help. I have also been booting the computer in clean boot all of the time. None of these things has fixed the issue so far unfortunately. Is it normal for event viewer to give so many reports of Defender being configured? I think it's event ID 5007. I just want to make sure that malware is not causing this issue. I've run so many scans and nothing has been found though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-08T23:35:05+00:00

    Hi, I'm Claudeir, an independent expert, it's very important to me that all your questions are answered and that you have a positive experience.

    -Are you running as an administrator user? test through a new user:

    -Creation of new user profile.

    Your user profile is a set of settings that make your computer look and function the way you want it to. It contains your desktop background settings, screen savers, pointer preferences, sound settings and other features. Due to this variety of settings and personal and changes caused by other programs it can cause the corruption of your user profile and the malfunction in the use of the system therefore the need for a new profile.

    Press the Windows + X keys, Control Panel;

    Click on user accounts and family protection;

    Click on user accounts;

    Click manage another account;

    Now click on Add a new user in the computer settings;

    Add the name for the new profile and add as an administrator.

    If you resolve with the new user, you can migrate your data from the old to the new user:

    To migrate your data and merge into one account only, you will need to copy or cut them for the user you want.

    In the administrator user you created, press the Windows + R keys, type:% systemdrive% \ users

    and click OK. Check the folder of your previous user and click the left mouse button, it may take a while to process the data, in a few minutes access to your files will be released, select the folders you want to move, to copy press them (CTRL + C), to cut them press (CTRL + X) and to paste press (CTRL + V) on your new user.

    After migrating your data, delete your previous user: Press the Windows + R keys, type netplwiz and click OK. Select your previous user and click Remove.

    Make a clean boot:

    -Clean boot:

    Clean boot is used to determine whether a background program is interfering with the system or optimizing system loading.

    For clean boot follow the steps below:

    On the Desktop, simultaneously press the Windows + R keys to open Run;

    In the Run menu, type the command msconfig and click OK to open the System Configuration;

    On the Services tab, check the option Hide all Microsoft services and Click Disable All;

    Click Apply and OK;

    Restart the computer.

    NOTE: This procedure disables all third-party services and programs. You can later, if the problem is solved in this way, selectively enable the programs and services that will start with Windows, instead of keeping all disabled. If the problem returns after activating the startup of a specific service or program, the problem is exactly in the startup of this software and it is recommended to remove it.

    Access for more details on offline verification:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hel...

    If the answer helped in any way, please mark it as answered, so you will be helping other users, your opinion is very important to us.

    If you still have questions, explain in more detail so we can help, see you later

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments