File History Does Not Work

Anonymous
2021-02-17T10:20:46+00:00

Hi,

For the past few days, File History on my Windows 10 Home (20H2) has stopped working.

In Settings, "Back up options" opens after a noticeable delay and displays the size of my back-up as zero bytes with the message' "Your data is not yet backed up".

On clicking "Back up Now", a "Cancel" button appears after a few seconds with no back up having taken place.

On clicking "Advanced options" and clicking on "Run Now", an error message gets displayed, "We can't copy files to your File History Drive; Failed to initiate user data back-up (Error 80070005)".

I had even contacted MS Support (tier 1) and gone through a remote PC access session but the problem persists.

I'd be grateful to receive advice.

AKS

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-04-14T08:57:13+00:00

    Updated last night after reading this and came along with optimism this morning only to find I still have the same error message :-(. Looks like I'll have to see if I can still rollback to get a backup this month. 

    Can't rollback, too late.

    Changed my admin settings to replace trusted installer with me, now listed as an admin; still have access denied. Very much cross at not being able to do a back-up without needing to swing through hoops and waste a lot of time. My DOS days are long behind me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-04-14T11:45:04+00:00

    It looks like problem has been fixed with KB5001330 released today :-)

    Hi,

    Size of backup is still "0 bytes".

    No change, there, I'm afraid.

    AKS

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-14T15:51:17+00:00

    Updated last night after reading this and came along with optimism this morning only to find I still have the same error message :-(. Looks like I'll have to see if I can still rollback to get a backup this month. 

    Can't rollback, too late.

    Changed my admin settings to replace trusted installer with me, now listed as an admin; still have access denied. Very much cross at not being able to do a back-up without needing to swing through hoops and waste a lot of time. My DOS days are long behind me. 

    Hi,

    Though the File History screen still displays backup sign as "0 bytes", on clicking the "back-up" button, there is now a display of "backing up your data".

    Whether or not data is actually getting backed up remains to be seen.

    A screenshot is attached.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-04-14T16:06:30+00:00

    But mine fails to initiate, and it's so fast to tell me that that there couldn't possibly be any backup done. I see another update waiting to install today, so maybe that will fix it. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-04-14T16:11:39+00:00

    But mine fails to initiate, and it's so fast to tell me that that there couldn't possibly be any backup done. I see another update waiting to install today, so maybe that will fix it. 

    Image

    Hi,

    I had been getting that error message too, but not today.

    This "0 bytes" issue is not terribly reassuring from point of view of reliability of the "back-up" feature.

    {Edit: After the File History backup had been completed, the backup size finally got displayed.}

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments