File History Does Not Work

Anonymous
2021-02-17T10:20:46+00:00

Hi,

For the past few days, File History on my Windows 10 Home (20H2) has stopped working.

In Settings, "Back up options" opens after a noticeable delay and displays the size of my back-up as zero bytes with the message' "Your data is not yet backed up".

On clicking "Back up Now", a "Cancel" button appears after a few seconds with no back up having taken place.

On clicking "Advanced options" and clicking on "Run Now", an error message gets displayed, "We can't copy files to your File History Drive; Failed to initiate user data back-up (Error 80070005)".

I had even contacted MS Support (tier 1) and gone through a remote PC access session but the problem persists.

I'd be grateful to receive advice.

AKS

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-04-06T16:56:31+00:00

    I have only this one version. I would however expect it to be multi-language?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-04-07T06:06:35+00:00

    I have only this one version. I would however expect it to be multi-language?

    The detailed file properties say either "english"  (your file 10.0.19041.1) or "french" (my file 10.0.19041.804). Therefore I have a doubt whether I should replace it or not, although the risk is low.

    Thanks  anyway.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-07T11:54:47+00:00

    The file will only affect file history, which is not working now....  There is nothing to lose.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-04-13T19:25:01+00:00

    It looks like problem has been fixed with KB5001330 released today :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-04-14T07:32:22+00:00

    Thanks again ! I had previously changed the fhcfg.dll file ; it worked (although with some fiddling with the reinitialisation of the safeguard destination).

    Good news : after the Windows update KB5001330, the file has been updated (version 10.0.19041.928) and... it still works !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments