File History Does Not Work

Anonymous
2021-02-17T10:20:46+00:00

Hi,

For the past few days, File History on my Windows 10 Home (20H2) has stopped working.

In Settings, "Back up options" opens after a noticeable delay and displays the size of my back-up as zero bytes with the message' "Your data is not yet backed up".

On clicking "Back up Now", a "Cancel" button appears after a few seconds with no back up having taken place.

On clicking "Advanced options" and clicking on "Run Now", an error message gets displayed, "We can't copy files to your File History Drive; Failed to initiate user data back-up (Error 80070005)".

I had even contacted MS Support (tier 1) and gone through a remote PC access session but the problem persists.

I'd be grateful to receive advice.

AKS

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-14T13:14:36+00:00

    There is indeed a simple fix: Replace c:\windows32\fhcfg.dll with the version before KB4601319. If you don't have it, you can download it from https://bhpark.dk/fhcfg.dll.
    I use newest version of fhcfg.dkk in normal day to day work. When I need to backup, I replace it with the older version, takes the backup and restores the newest version again. And some day - by a pure miracle - I don't need the fix any more :-)

    Okay.  How do you "simply" change this DLL whenever you want.  I had a quick search around to find a simple way and can't see it.  Thanks for the help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-14T15:18:48+00:00

    There is indeed a simple fix: Replace c:\windows32\fhcfg.dll with the version before KB4601319. If you don't have it, you can download it from https://bhpark.dk/fhcfg.dll.
    I use newest version of fhcfg.dkk in normal day to day work. When I need to backup, I replace it with the older version, takes the backup and restores the newest version again. And some day - by a pure miracle - I don't need the fix any more :-)

    Okay.  How do you "simply" change this DLL whenever you want.  I had a quick search around to find a simple way and can't see it.  Thanks for the help.

    Open a command prompt as Administrator. While in c:\windows\system32, rename fhcfg.dll to fhcfg.dll.bak, copy the pre KB4601319  fhcfg.dll to system 32 and reboot.

    After reboot, the fhcfg.dll.bak can be deleted, although I recommend that you keep it for future use where you can restore it using the same rename/copy/reboot technique.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-03-14T18:37:22+00:00

    Okay.  Needed to take ownership away from the Trusted Installer.  Seems to work now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-23T22:18:31+00:00

    I have the exact same problem. [snip] Rolling back KB4601319 corrected the issue.

    Unfortunately, I can see the KB4601319 in the update history, but not in the "uninstall Updates" list :( 

    So no chance to get that working for now. On my laptop, everything is fine, on the (under the) desktop just one user account is affected - the onlyone having admin privileges. Who else.

    Thanks Microsoft for hopefully looking into thie very soon!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-23T23:44:58+00:00

    I have the exact same problem. [snip] Rolling back KB4601319 corrected the issue.

    Unfortunately, I can see the KB4601319 in the update history, but not in the "uninstall Updates" list :( 

    So no chance to get that working for now. On my laptop, everything is fine, on the (under the) desktop just one user account is affected - the onlyone having admin privileges. Who else.

    Thanks Microsoft for hopefully looking into thie very soon!

    See the discussions above.  You want to download the previous version of fhcfg.dll and replace the one at c:\windows\system32\ with it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments