Just in case anyone's paying attention (which obviously does NOT include Micro$oft ... SMH), this issue persists with the March cumulative update KB5000802. I allowed it to install, and File History was broken again. Uninstalled it and my backups can run. This is getting really frustrating, and to the best of my knowledge no one in Redmond has even acknowledged there's an issue.
File History Does Not Work
Hi,
For the past few days, File History on my Windows 10 Home (20H2) has stopped working.
In Settings, "Back up options" opens after a noticeable delay and displays the size of my back-up as zero bytes with the message' "Your data is not yet backed up".
On clicking "Back up Now", a "Cancel" button appears after a few seconds with no back up having taken place.
On clicking "Advanced options" and clicking on "Run Now", an error message gets displayed, "We can't copy files to your File History Drive; Failed to initiate user data back-up (Error 80070005)".
I had even contacted MS Support (tier 1) and gone through a remote PC access session but the problem persists.
I'd be grateful to receive advice.
AKS
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2021-04-03T16:44:59+00:00 -
Anonymous
2021-03-23T23:44:58+00:00 I have the exact same problem. [snip] Rolling back KB4601319 corrected the issue.
Unfortunately, I can see the KB4601319 in the update history, but not in the "uninstall Updates" list :(
So no chance to get that working for now. On my laptop, everything is fine, on the (under the) desktop just one user account is affected - the onlyone having admin privileges. Who else.
Thanks Microsoft for hopefully looking into thie very soon!
See the discussions above. You want to download the previous version of fhcfg.dll and replace the one at c:\windows\system32\ with it.
-
Anonymous
2021-03-13T16:15:14+00:00 There is indeed a simple fix: Replace c:\windows32\fhcfg.dll with the version before KB4601319. If you don't have it, you can download it from https://bhpark.dk/fhcfg.dll.
I use newest version of fhcfg.dkk in normal day to day work. When I need to backup, I replace it with the older version, takes the backup and restores the newest version again. And some day - by a pure miracle - I don't need the fix any more :-) -
Anonymous
2021-03-09T14:09:51+00:00 Interesting you got a notification ... I didn't. I only discovered backup wasn't working when I happened to browse my backup drive and noticed that nothing had changed since Feb. 13th, the day I installed the last cumulative update. And try as I might, I could not fire off a manual backup until the KB4601319 update was uninstalled.
-
Anonymous
2021-03-09T06:38:56+00:00 I have to say that for a thread that is 3 weeks old, I'm troubled nobody from Microsoft Tech has acknowledged the issue yet. This is not encouraging. Clearly something was broken in KB 4601319.
Hi,
The problem still persists.
I could back up only after I got a notification on back ups after which back up could be accomplished by following links from the notification.
Regards
AKS