The Keep Personal Files And Apps Option Is Greyed Out When Trying To Get An In-Place Upgrade From ISO File....

Anonymous
2021-03-07T10:24:51+00:00

Hello All



Hope You All Are Doing Great..

So I Was Having Problems With The Windows Update, Searched On Internet But Didn’t Find Any Usable Results; So I Decided To Do An In-Place Upgrade> Downloaded MCT>Got A Fresh Copy Of Windows Iso…

But

When I Started The Setup, It Showed That The “Keep Personal Files, Apps And Settings” Is Greyed Out, And The “Keep Personal Files Option” Is Greyed Out Too..

So I Was Left With Just Nothing Option But Had A Whooping 50 Gb Off Photos,Videos And Docs On My Pc And No One Would Like To Ever Wipe Of Them..

And The Reason Was That “Your Files, Apps, And Settings Can’t Be Kept Because Your Current Version Of Windows Might Be Installed In An Unsupported Directory Or You’re Trying To Install An Older Version Of Windows.”

Again Searched Internet And Found About The Registry And Directories But My PC Was Good In The Registry…

So I Found That This Is A Bug With Windows 10 Version 19042 At This Site: [Fix] Can't Repair Install Windows 10 20H2 - Your Windows Guide …

So Should I Make The Changes Because The Site States That “Important : The Fix Is Only ApplicableTo Windows 10 Version 20H2 Build 19042. DoingThis On Other Releases May Lead To PC InAn Unbootable State.”

Any Suggestion Or Fix Will Be Really Helpful

The Registry Pic: 

And Ohh Yes My Windows Specifications

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Version: 20H2

Installed On: 22-‎12-‎2020

OS Build : 19042.631

Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Device name OPTIPLEX3020

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz

Installed RAM 4.00 GB

Device ID          585EDC1A-1A5D-40DE-B9D1-0A830576C5E6

Product ID 00330-50000-00000-AAOEM

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Thank You All

Hope This Is Understandable

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Virginia M 42,155 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2021-03-09T12:21:17+00:00

    I have already post link to latest CU. Those two are 3 months old.

    Old fixes are included to latest CU. That's why those are called Cumulative Updates.

    I’m aware of that. I’m wishing to see if this will install before trying to install other updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-09T12:11:16+00:00

    I have already post link to latest CU. Those two are 3 months old.

    Old fixes are included to latest CU. That's why those are called Cumulative Updates.

    Well Funny Thing Was That Microsoft SmartScreen defender reported that file is harmful in Microsoft edge... Probably A false-alert!!

    And I got this error

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Pauli O 16,380 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2021-03-09T11:53:38+00:00

    I have already post link to latest CU. Those two are 3 months old.

    Old fixes are included to latest CU. That's why those are called Cumulative Updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Virginia M 42,155 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2021-03-09T11:08:05+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-09T11:05:38+00:00

    Sorry to hear the batch file didn’t work.
    From what I understand you just need to run the batch file & no other program then run the in-place repair.
    The .exe you mention is part of the .bat file & isn’t run separately.

    No Problem Ma'am

    Actually First I Tried running the .bat file as administrator and then restarted the computer and saw the version was the same and keep-nothing option was still only left..

    then i ran the batch file and app both and restart the PC but same thing happened..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments